Tax Stamp

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Finally after almost a year I got my BATF tax stamp which allows me to make one suppressor. After I received my tax stamp I made a suppressor from a design I had made many moons ago. To my great surprise and edification it worked well with my 300 Blackout. I fired one round suppressed and got a low PFFT. Then fired a round withou the can. Woke up all the dogs and wild turkeys in the neighborhood. Needs a little tweaking but should be good to go.

When I get it tuned up I'll post pics and specs. Don't hold your breath because now I'm deep into my Monarch conversion,

Sweet Matt tell me about the materials u used etc
I’m contemplating a similar project

Very cool Matt. I'll be looking forward to the pics/details.

-Ron

I failed reading comprehension.... lol

Last edited:
He said almost a year in his opening sentence.

It took mine about 14 months after the Sandy hook incident. I imagine the recent Florida incident will cause further delays as its always politically tied in. I have all my stamps in trusts, perhaps that had an effect on lack of expediting. I'v also had stamps issued in 6 months so who know.

Glad it worked out for you MattM, now lets see some photos!

All I have now is my first prototype. Now real pretty. Pics will come when I finish the next prototype. Does this mean I have to destroy the first before I make the second?

Might be awhile because I'm hip deep in my Monarch conversion.

Matt and Firestopper,

Did you specify the suppressor length on the BATF form or did you just put down N/A?

I can't wait to see some pictures!

All I have now is my first
Matt Please edit the above partially quoted post .. Your form 1 stamp does NOT allow you to " prototype " It allows you to make one can win loose or draw and that is it . Now I feel sure you want to stay within the bounds of the NFA and it was simply aquard phrasing that seemed to imply you were going to attempt to do development with multiple models of baffles ect... until you got just what you wanted but I would hate for some busybody or possibly agent to see such a post and draw the wrong conclusion .

All the Best wishes with your new can
Bob

Serious question.
A silencer, sound moderator, suppressor is of itself harmless and only works well with low velocity ammunition. Why is it such a big deal??

Here in the US there is a law called the NFA . In 1934 the National Firearms Act was passed which ( though they couldn't outlaw them because of the constitutional protection ) attempted to restrict such items as Machine guns , silencers , short barreled shotguns and rifles and a few other items by placeing a $200 tax on them , this was a huge amount in 1934 dollars and served to send a lot of people to jail for the federal felony of tax evasion . As to the logic of suppressors being on the NFA .. boy you got me ! I have heard that it was lobbied for by various fish and game depts but do not know if there is truth to that or if its just a tale .

Back