Teapot whistle

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Well, the old Simplex Tea Kettle just had a sick sounding whistle. I could still hear it but I must admit, I had to pay attention plus my hearing is still pretty good. But, my mom’s hearing is bad. I noticed that the other day she put my great kettle on the side and was using her old crappie kettle which I will admit did still have a good whistle.
So I started thinking. Could I make a new whistle and top for the old Simplex.
here’s a pic of the starting point of the Simplex Kettle.07820DD8-613B-4233-B5AE-DD996EF368C1.jpeg

I did try tweaking the old kettle’s whistle to no avail. And I even found out that I could purchase a replacement top for 40.00
But, after reading some forums I reached the conclusion that the whistle was just a bad design and probably would never reach a level of loudness required for my needs.
So I spent a LOT of time reading and learning the dynamics of a whistle. Wow, just wow. Such a simple thing as a whistle is complicated.
First step, the top body. Brass would have been my preference but I couldn’t justify the expense of a 2-3/4” diameter chunk of brass for this silly project. I say silly because it was still a usable tea kettle for me. But....it is what it is.
I started with a 3” round bar of aluminum.
20DFE3E3-3BFA-4B5F-9833-975A4481F245.jpeg

I measured the old top and put around 2 degree taper and used the compound to cut that. I did the try & fit method here.... no real high tech measuring here. Just moved the tailstock out of the way and then would use the kettle body to test the fit. I put the taper for a portion of the top and the other half of the fit was a snug straight fit for about 1/8” until it hits a raised ring.
Sorry, I really didn’t take a bunch of pictures.
After I got the fit right, I center drilled it to 5/8” -11. That size was a decent size for the whistle body I designed.
For what it’s worth, it took me three tries to design the whistle. First two were failures.... first one used a 1/4” brass body and it was too weak of a sound.
I ended up using a chunk of 5/8” brass round I had laying around.

B6EBB4B9-0DD4-4DBB-BC5A-B8FA27C9C0B6.jpegAEE1647F-93F6-40BB-A0FD-D159F058B5EA.jpegFE42140A-73CF-486B-B886-A85E135B2004.jpeg

Here’s the semi finished top. I still need to either nickel plate it or anodize it. Still haven’t made decisions there yet. Once I’m done with the corrosion protection, I’ll fit a delrin top to the whistle. It’ll Act as the handle to lift the hot kettle top....insulating that hot whistle.
I’ll tell you, this thing screams. DBA1EFA0-4739-4ED1-819D-54777B8B43A5.jpegEF4C08A7-693B-4525-B895-4281913B8B7E.jpeg

I have a similar problem. A few years back, my wife dropped the top of her Denby teapot. When we were in the UK, we stopped at the factory to get a replacement but were told that neither the teapot nor the replacement top is no longer available. Similar Dernby teapots sell for over $100 here. I super glued the pieces together well enough ti make a SolidWorks model with the thought that I could make a replacement top out of a plastic like Ultem. The stock would have to be a block 3.6" x 3.6" x 2.5". A search online comes up with around $50 for the stock so I guess it will have to wait until I take a pottery class.

Thanks guys.
Only thing I’m worried about is the aluminum holding up against corrosion. We’re dealing with heat and moisture....especially on the inside bottom. I’ve been reading up on nickel plating aluminum. Anodized then nickel. Something about zincating first so that the nickel can be electroplated. The zinc is needed to give the anodized surface a conductive surface because once it gets anodized then it’s no longer conductive and can’t be electroplated.
I’ve nickel electroplated some cheap CRS parallels I made.... and have been using them for about a month. They are holding up okay. But it’s going to be a challenge. Oh well.... only people who don’t fail are those who never try.
You can see below... the nickel is doing okay, but did peel in a couple of small spots on the sharp corners. But this was my first try and I didn’t do an acid etch. F84E2820-C9BF-472F-BFAA-649374B0BD8F.jpeg

Seems like you'd need to be careful picking up the handle. Doesn't that whistle get hot? Nicely done.

. Brass would have been my preference but I couldn’t justify the expense of a 2-3/4” diameter chunk of brass for this silly project. I say silly because it was still a usable tea kettle for me. But....it is what it is.
I started with a 3” round bar of aluminum.
The whistle sounds great, good job machining it out of Brass, I only have one concern about the Aluminum lid, other than the corrosion you mentioned, I wonder whether a small amount of Aluminum would leach in the hot water every time you put the kettle on.

Back