TECO L510 (L510-101-H1) e-Stop / rapid stop help

jhinze1970

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have the inverter running, external forward - stop - reverse switch and pot. I'm trying to wire an E-Stop and it's working reverse of what I imagined (do I have wrong switch?)

I have an ABB CE4P-10R-02 switch from Galaco. Pull it out and it is open, push the button it's closed. Switch contactors I believe are wired normally closed. There are 4 terminals on it.

I have 03-04 set to 14 on the VFD, one leg of the switch is wired to common, the other leg is put into S5 terminal (per diagram in the manual)

When I pull out the button, it activates the rapid stop... push it in, lets it run. I'd like it to work in reverse. Did I get the wrong switch? Is there some wiring trick I missed (I'm by no means an expert with wiring or circuits)

Any help would be appreciated..

Sounds like you need a N.O. Switch not a N.C. Switch.
Thanks... I just ordered one on Amazon... I got a similar reply on another forum.

Thank you for the reply!

Using a normally closed (NC) e-stop will work. Another option is to use parameter 03-09 to change the input sense.

Last edited:
Using a normally closed (NC) e-stop will work. Another option is to use parameter 03-09 to change the input sense.
You're a genius!

I had it wired like the diagram on 8-4, just didn't know it was possible to set the switch type. Had to set for all the switches, but it worked. THANK YOU!

My only complaint is that once invoked, I have to power cycle the vfd to get it out of e-stop... pulling out thr button doesn't clear it.. but that's minor.

My only complaint is that once invoked, I have to power cycle the vfd to get it out of e-stop... pulling out thr button doesn't clear it.. but that's minor.
Glad I could help, just a random tidbit I remembered. From the instructions (haven't tried it myself), if you hit your normal stop, and reset the e-stop, then the run should work without power cycle(?).

On the TECO, you can program the estop switch for NO or NC. It is usually considered safer to program & use a NC switch. A PB switch is more likely to fail open, and so estops are usually wired NC.

You probably do not want to power cycle the VFD to reset it, there should be a fault reset on the VFD panel, you can also wire an input for reset. If you power cycle make sure to leave the VFD off for at least 5 minutes before powering up again, otherwise you could damage the inrush circuitry.

The Teco L510 is limited as to the input configurations NO/NC, so would require a NO switch going to NC when the E-Stop is pushed for the rapid stop to function. Note that for the error to clear you must release the rapid stop input and clear any active run commands, and then the fault should be cleared. There are other wiring factors as to if you are using 2 wire control or 3 wire control. As a safety precaution with 2 wire control it must be returned to the stop position for the fault to clear. With 2 wire control I often use a power latching relay that drops out when the E-Stop is pressed (separate from the fast stop), and the relay can only reset when the E-Stop is released and the direction switch is in the stop position. There are other settings to prevent a run command starting the motor on power up, this varies by VFD as either a software parameter or a programmed input.

1660158919930.png

I have the Teco L510 and I am confused by "rapid stop". I have the normal latching switch to shut it down (disconnects the contactor) Why do I think that's not we're discussing here? It doesn't have a true braking resistor, I'm lost.

Back