TECO VFD help please

Que

Active User
Registered
well I mounted motor and using the TECO JNEV-101-H1. here are the problems (so far); first now when I start in up it jogs backwards. I have to stop it and then run again and now it goes forward. this didn't happen when I simply had it wired and unmounted. second problem is that I have a DPDT switch wired up for the fwd/rvs but I guess I don't quite understand how to program it and this has not worked as of yet.

I plan on putting a SPST switch on the common of the fwd/rvs switch to be able to turn off the pwr to the motor. seeing how yesterday was spent testing the basic setup and tearing apart the G0602 lathe and today was church and trying to get it all going I haven't been able to play with it too much. plan on doing the 10k pot to vary speed remotely if I get the rest figured out. any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't quite understand your setup. If you could sketch the schematic and post a photo, it would help us understand.

Something to note... You should not put any type of switch in-between the VFD and motor. VFD's are constant-current devices and when you suddenly open the circuit to the load it is supplying power to, it causes havoc with the internal IGBT.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

well I mounted motor and using the TECO JNEV-101-H1. here are the problems (so far); first now when I start in up it jogs backwards. I have to stop it and then run again and now it goes forward. this didn't happen when I simply had it wired and unmounted. second problem is that I have a DPDT switch wired up for the fwd/rvs but I guess I don't quite understand how to program it and this has not worked as of yet.

I plan on putting a SPST switch on the common of the fwd/rvs switch to be able to turn off the pwr to the motor. seeing how yesterday was spent testing the basic setup and tearing apart the G0602 lathe and today was church and trying to get it all going I haven't been able to play with it too much. plan on doing the 10k pot to vary speed remotely if I get the rest figured out. any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Is the DPDT switch you have a "center off" switch? in other words does it have 3 positions? There is no need for a SPST switch.
What terminals are wired to what?
teco-1.JPG

Did you set program 04 to 001 for external control?
teco-2.JPG

teco-1.JPG teco-2.JPG

I can't really draw it but how about I explain it better........

first I stripped the switches out of the lathe but am using the red "E stop" switch as the main to switch power to the vfd

120VAC pos goes to "e stop", common and gnd straight to vfd
220 goes to the motor
gnd going from vfd to lathe gnd point

for the fwd/rvs a dpdt switch
one side (fwd) hooked to term 4 on vfd
one side (rev) hooked to term 5 on vfd
middle com hooked to term 8 on vfd

plan on a spst switch inline on term 8 to break the fwd/rev thinking it will stop power to motor

Is the DPDT switch you have a "center off" switch? in other words does it have 3 positions?
What terminals are wired to what?

Did you set program 04 to 001 for external control?

no center off

I tried the programming of F04 to 001 and remote switch did nothing

Forget about the SPST switch and get a center off DPDT.

Check to make sure program 04=001, 11=000 and 12=001

If you're using a DPDT switch instead of a SPDT, make sure you run terminal 8 to both centre terminals. You didn't mention that, so I figured I'd better.

I'd also suggest connecting the emergency stop switch in series with the feed from terminal 8. It's not the best approach to stop equipment by killing the control power. The VFD is set up to stop the motor when it gets the appropriate input. Actually, in the manual for my Teco FM50, it specifically says not to start or stop the AC drive using the main circuit power. I doubt that the e-switch is built to handle the motor current.

thanks for all the replies gents. once I get out into the shop today I'll have another go at it. sounding more and more like I should have a fwd/off/rev switch instead of how I have it.

anyone have any thoughts as to my it initially goes slowly in reverse on startup, then stopping it and hitting run again it gets upto speed going forward?

thanks again for all the help

Swap any two of the motor leads, then the motor will start in the other direction.

Que,

While I dont have an answer for the starting in reverse, then restarting properly -- I am familiar with this peculiarity. I had a SB that I installed a new 1hp 3ph motor on with a 1hp TECO to drive it, and from the git-go it did this, except mine would also "quiver/jerk". The lathe was to be sold and I needed to get it up and going, so after several hours spent trying to sort it out I gave up and installed a 2hp Hitachi unit I had from a previous project - worked perfectly then.

As for the switches, yes, its easy to overthink them. The only slightly 'beefy' switch needed is to turn the 220v on/off to the VFD. the other controls (fwd/off/rev) will only be 24-28v and can be switched with common toggles, etc. Then, if wanted, a common potentiometer.

Sheldonfinished002.jpg

Sheldonfinished002.jpg

Back