Tell me about mist coolant systems (and alternatives)...

I believe it is Kool Mist #77, I have a bunch of it but had some rust issues as well as tank life issue. Maybe at higher concentrations and light applications may be OK. I have been using KOOLRite, current version is 2290 in a 10% concentration, I have also seen Trim Microsol 690XT recommended and it is available in a 1 gallon size. KOOLRite use to be available in 1 gallon but now only 5 gallon. Trim Microsol 690XT gets some very good reviews and seems to be more readily available at a reasonable price for 1 gallon which should last a very long time. Recommendation of KOOLRite and Trim is based on use with different metals, if primarily aluminum then are other options. A little bit of coolant goes a long way in a manual milling/turning application. I find it more impactful with milling vs. turning. One last thing that I have seen mentioned is to use either RO or distilled/demineralized water may also help reduce rusting and increase duration of use. The KOOLRite lasted over a year when I used it for flood coolant in my bandsaw, the Kool Mist went bad in about 3 months.

At work we use mostly lab style squeeze bottles and really only use misters in certain situations, mostly we go without.

Ill use a mister if I'm running a slitting or slotting saw, but that is mainly for chip flushing and to prevent chip welding.

On the lathe its squeeze bottles only as coolant tanks always get funky over time. Even at that its only used during heavy stock removal.

I disremember the product we use, but quote me and Ill look in the morning.

probably the most copied thing i have ever done is the zero fog mister i first did over 20 years ago:

Still running GREAT

I went ahead and ordered TRIM SC520 which as I understand it is their less-expensive general-purpose semi-synthetic. MSC had it for cheaper than Amazon and free shipping. The 1 gal bottle should last for my lifetime since it's meant to be diluted to 10% and my usage rate will be low.

Supposed to be low-odor and not as prone to bacterial stank as regular soluble oil. I remember the stuff we used at work on the Bridgeport in my previous career, it got extremely whiffy.

Also ordered a Lube Cube from SST. BTW if you google for Lube Cube you get a lot of hits for sex lube. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

I run plain old heavy Sulphur based cutting oil in my mill base. I have mostly all high-speed steel face mills and find the heavy cutting oil makes a beautiful finish. Almost mirror like. I don't use it all the time. Mostly for heavy face milling or other heavy cuts with a slotting, gear or dovetail cutter, otherwise just an acid brush and dab it on.
I don't recommend it for a basement shop as it smokes, but it really does extend the life of a cutter before needing a sharpen.
Martin

+1 for Fogbuster system and Coolmist #77

So I've been thinking that I'd like to try some kind of automatic coolant system. I'd love something that puts coolant where I want and doesn't create a lot of aerosol. (Also I'd like it to cool, instantly, to room temperature, cost nothing, run on explitives, and produce gold as a byproduct of use... ;-) ) Y'all (at least those of you with some sort of coolant system) understand the trade-offs.

So, whatcha got and whatcha recommend?

TIA,

GsT

Edit: fingers can't keep up with thoughts...
I‘ve been machining for over 70 years. And I think for the HOME shop machinist
not doing any production work MY solution of using a Harbor Freight air brush and small compressor will work great at most jobs. Think when I bought my air brush it was about 10 bucks. It only holds a small amount coolant so not much mess. I never turn on my big compressor as my small one is about the size of a bowling ball but lighter. For hard to machine material I still use stinky sulfur oil and a brush.

I bought a very cheap system & added magnets to the mixer and stick it wherever I need it on the machine. Use the same regular soluble oil mix from my sump.

Reminds me to dig up our cooler project...

Rurs were simple.

CHEAP!

Must be cheap to build.

Cheap to operate.

Cheap to clean up...time is money right? D not want to clean the whole shop of spayed water.

We picked up a 12 VDC sprayer pump, 90 PSI.

Add the micro misters used for outdoor cooling.

Result should be a very fine fog or mist at the point of work.

The normal misters have the air stream to blow chips out, requires compressed air and makes a mess.

The misters have some movement when spraying, we modified a garden sprayer to misters for Roundup, works well.

Have not built it yet...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I run a Noga Mini cool with Koolmist 77. I just choke the nozzle to control the flow of mist and direct it more towards the cutter. I keep it portable and I take it to whatever machine I need it at.

Back