Tenths Indicator Choices

I use a tenth gauge all the time. Probably have half a dozen test indicators and acouple plunger style. Also have some .0005.
I understand in most instances you don’t need tenths but the closer you get it the more room for error on your end with machining.
Surface grinding I use a tenths indicator that’s it. The more I think of it I have more tenths than thousandths indicators and rarely use the thou. ones. Usually for rough alignment of a part

Older B&S Bestests here .
Me, too. I have a Brown & Sharpe-branded BesTest DTI with 0.0005 markings, but it’s easy to read between the lines. It has a range of 0.010, so it’s not the first device one picks up, but it’s a joy to use. I also have a Lufkin 0.0001 dial indicator but it needs service, in spite of my general happiness with old Lufkin stuff. A tenths dial indicator like the Lufkin has two hands and a range of a maybe 0.5”, which is useful. I’ve been eyeing a tenths DTI, but the measurement range is only about 0.008, so by the time you can keep the needle on the scale the part has already passed muster with at least one other indicator.

Measuring tenths is hard.

My older Fowler mics measure tenths repeatably, and I have the gauge blocks and standards to test myself using them.

Rick “happy to use a half-thou indicator to measure thousandths” Denney

I would add that if I was measuring surface plates or doing precision grinding, then thousandths might as well be miles.

But I’m not. :)

Rick “knows his limitations” Denney

I know this is an old thread but look on Amazon for "used" products. I recently bought:

Mitutoyo 513-403-10T DIAL TI, Full, STD 0.008", 0.00004" Accuracy, 0.0001", White​

With extra tips, posts, and clamp for about $65. They normally sell for $164. It was perfect and if it wasn't it would have been a free return.
Normally I use a Mitutoyo 0.0005 which is old but has been very reliable but I couldn't pass this one up.

I like Interapid they are not used much but if you have only a small area to indicate on a long part they can be very handy.

Last edited:
Back