Test Indicators - resolution vs accuracy

dbb-the-bruce

Dave
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
TLDR: is this a good choice (below) for the finest resolution indicator that I'll probably own?

--------------------------
Looking to add a high resolution test indicator to my collection (excuse is to measure run out on a high speed spindle).

Specs in catalogs are a little confusing base on my expected definitions.

Graduation -
This is easy, the space between the marks on the dial, (mostly) has nothing to do with accuracy or resolution only how hard or easy it is to read or determine values between the marks.

Accuracy -
How close it comes to the actual TRUE measurement as defined by NIST (or whatever it is) (see also calibration and certification). Most hobbyists don't need super-accurate as we are not trying to make stuff to share with someone else and if our .001 is really .00091 it doesn't matter.

Resolution -
What's smallest value that can be observed, like with a telescope (aperture determines this) the mechanics of test indicator limit the smallest distance it can detect.

I'm looking at this indicator:
indicator.jpg
The graduation is half of the accuracy. I'd expect the resolution to be less than the graduation maybe 0.00001?
Meaning, you can detect differences less than 0.00005 but if you are trying to measure a difference you can't be sure that it's better than 0.0001

So if I was to put this on a spindle and rotate it, I could observe the needle swinging back and forth. If it stays between to marks, I still can't say for sure that the run out is less than 0.0001 (accuracy) despite the fact that two marks indicate a travel of 0.00005? Looking at others it seems that accuracy is often a bigger value (2X) than the graduation.

[I took a break and did some more research before posting]
I got the manufacturers part number from the MSC catalog and looked up what the manufacturer actually has for specs and poked around a bit....
indicator-mfg.jpg

indicator-pic.jpg
So clearly, MSC has mis-labeled the manufacturers info. MFG has RESOLUTION as 0.00005
They don't have GRADUATION - but the picture clearly shows that the graduation is 0.0001
MSC has flipped them around.

Moral of the story is don't trust the catalog info?

Often characteristics and picture does not correspond to the manufacture's specifications. A 0.0001" indicator, may have a resolution of 0.00005" by reading between the lines but the repeatability and mechanical movement action (hysteresis) will lag, as well as accuracy of movement through its range. I have the Compac 215GA which is a multi-turn 0.0001" test indicator, and it is the only one I use these days and I have about 6 others. Having the added range plus the resolution is helpful for the type of work that I do. Compac's are no longer made, Interapid/Browne & Sharpe have a multi turn 0.0001" indicator 312B-3, but I prefer the older 215GA if you can find one. I see Mahr has similar models at about half the price, do not know anything about their newer indicators, but may be fine and and save some coin.

Mahr MarTest Dial Test Indicator Model 801 Srm, Martest, MAHR 4308980 .0001" Res, +/-.008" Range, 1.5" Dial

Mahr MarTest Dial Test Indicator Model 801SGE MAHR 4308985 Top Mount grads 0.00005" Dial Dia. 1.5"

Am wanting to pull the trigger on a quality indicator to replace the Chinesium one I have. Any other suggestions on what to look for, used is okay.

John

Also, it looks like metric measuring tools are much cheaper used. Maybe I should switch over now????

Am wanting to pull the trigger on a quality indicator to replace the Chinesium one I have. Any other suggestions on what to look for, used is okay.

John
The problem with used is you never really know where they've been or how they've been (ab)used. That being said, look on Ebay for Starrett, Mitutoyo, B&S (as above). New Mitutoyo or usually cheaper than new Starrett.

Often characteristics and picture does not correspond to the manufacture's specifications. A 0.0001" indicator, may have a resolution of 0.00005" by reading between the lines but the repeatability and mechanical movement action (hysteresis) will lag, as well as accuracy of movement through its range. I have the Compac 215GA which is a multi-turn 0.0001" test indicator, and it is the only one I use these days and I have about 6 others. Having the added range plus the resolution is helpful for the type of work that I do. Compac's are no longer made, Interapid/Browne & Sharpe have a multi turn 0.0001" indicator 312B-3, but I prefer the older 215GA if you can find one. I see Mahr has similar models at about half the price, do not know anything about their newer indicators, but may be fine and and save some coin.

Mahr MarTest Dial Test Indicator Model 801 Srm, Martest, MAHR 4308980 .0001" Res, +/-.008" Range, 1.5" Dial

Mahr MarTest Dial Test Indicator Model 801SGE MAHR 4308985 Top Mount grads 0.00005" Dial Dia. 1.5"
This looks like the place for buying indicators, thanks....

Buying a used test indicator scared me, considering their fine accuracy, and limited travel. And speaking of limited travel; some units are very limited and require care not to stress them by over stroking. I wound up buying this one. Not cheap, but I trust Mitutoyo, and it was a high travel unit (relative to some other test indicators) so it should be more fault tolerant to (my) possible poor setup.

Back