Thanks to PM and Mr. Jacobs!

Jake P

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’m a new member here and have ordered a PM1340GT for which I eagerly await. Mid July as of now.

I am posting this to give a shout out to the folks at Quality Machine Tool/Precision Mathews, as well as Mr. Mark Jacobs.

I began with an order for a 1228VF-LB and after more research and consideration decided to upgrade to the 1340GT. The person I seem to have gotten on the phone most often at PM has been John, but of course there have been others I’ve corresponded with as well. John and all of the staff have been very helpful and patient with my many questions as well as many order changes.

I started out with a single phase machine in the 1340GT and once again after more research decided to change my order to a 3 phase and go with a VFD conversion. My decision to change to the VFD was also based on the very generous help of Mark Jacobs, both from his posts here on this site as well as one on one. I am having Mark build me his VFD conversion “kit”. He has given me so much information and time that I just can’t thank him enough. Thanks again Mark :)

In this process I informed John at PM that I would like to get the Micrometer Stop for my machine shipped directly to Mark when it becomes available. At that time John informed me that they were back ordered and I would likely not see that part until I get my machine. No biggie, Mark and I discussed it and there was an easy work around.

This brings me to what inspires todays post. This morning I get an email from PM that informs me that a package is going out to Mark. My first thought was that there was a mistake. I won’t go into all the other details here, but I had just requested a few parts of my order be shipped to me now, so I thought that they had mis-understood my requests and were sending one of those requested parts to Mark instead of myself (remember, there are no stops available, they are back ordered at this time).

Of course I call PM and John answers the phone for sales. I inform him that I got an email and I am concerned that something is being sent to the wrong place (in my mind there are no Micrometer Stops available, so something is amiss).

John informs me that indeed no stops are “available” but that they know for certain that a shipment due out later, for which an allocated stop is on hand, will not need that stop before the machine arrives and that additional stops will arrive in time to fulfill the original order from which they pulled a stop to send to Mark for my account.

Now this may not seem like much to some folks, but I was blown away by PM’s attention to detail and desire to satisfy their customers that I told myself that I have to share this. It would have been so easy for PM to just wait for parts to arrive in sequential order to fulfill existing orders, and not do the extra work of looking at their overall timeline in this more “creative” way.

Again, I know it’s a little thing, but to me this shows just how much they are willing to do above and beyond for their customers.

This forum is not the only source of information that I used in my quest for a metal lathe, but certainly the most influential. There have been many others here praising PM for their customer service. I would like to add to those endorsements and re-iterate that if you think it’s worth saving a couple hundred dollars to order elsewhere I hope you step back and take a look at the bigger picture!

And a big thanks to all the participants here, I am learning so much on Hobby-Machinest.com!

Jake

Last edited:
Congratulations Jake, a great decision. I've had my 1340 with Mark's controls for almost 5 years now and it's a terrific machine. While you're waiting, if you have any questions, just sing out. This is a great sub-forum with really helpful people.

Thank you David, I've already perused many of your posts here as well as your Flickr page as well.

I don't know where you find the time for all that you do between the incredible shop you have, the business you run and the posts that you put here!

Not to jump in on your thread but if they're out of micrometer stops I have one for sale in the classifieds with the proximity stop already installed.

Congrats on the machine! You'll love it especially with Mark's upgrades.

David has a business?
Oh do fill me in.
This fellow is very talented!

Very nice web site.
I bet you are swamped.
It seems remodeling is in these days.
How you deal with cost overruns based on materials must be challenging.

Very nice web site.
I bet you are swamped.
It seems remodeling is in these days.
How you deal with cost overruns based on materials must be challenging.
Thanks. The site is very out of date and I’m working on something new/fresh. Yes, with OSB (as an example) at $50 (up from $10), these are interesting times. Rather than continue to hijack this thread I will DM you.

You may have gotten my micrometer stop! Please ask Mark to send it to me when he does his proximity magic to it. ;-p

Back