The Bato Chisel

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have long been fascinated by how easy it is for a Mexican Butcher to sharpen a knife. More recently, I discovered how Mexican Luthiers would use discarded saw blades to make knifes for shaping guitars. My next project was to develop a way to store my QCTP tool holders near my lathe up off the bench top. Long story short, 2 x 4 cutoffs seemed an easy solution. Just cut them at an angle, mill in the bevels, mount them to a board & hang it up. I bought the Randy Richards Dovetail Cutters to make my tool holders. A few are seen here mixed in with the Shars version.

20200802 01.jpg

Should be easy to use the same cutter for shaping wood.

20200901 01.jpg

Except for the rounded end. So, I grabbed a wood chisel & began shaping the ends into the desired corners. Sure enough straight end wood chisels were not the answer. Rather than look into a world of chisels on the market for a solution (given I don't use chisels much in my luthiery anyway), it was time to reflect on an old school solution. I grabbed an old blade from my reciprocating saw, ground the end to 60 degrees, sharpened it & never looked back!

Back