THE BEST METAL ADHESIVE??

thanx for the replys however the parts in question are non functional and stationary,so I was thinking loctite would be sufficent and quicker but JB sounds like a good choice too........

For metal-to-metal room temperature bonding, nothing beats 3M Scotch-Weld DP810. You'll need:
  • DP810 cartridge tubes
  • Mixing nozzles
  • Dispensing gun
  • A chair to sit down in when pricing items above
This stuff is no joke. Our company fabricates and installs ornamental and decorative metal products in high-end buildings. In the 10 years I've been here I've never seen a failure.

If I could "do it all over again" I would have been an chemical engineer specializing in adhesives. They fascinate me. Now I have a new one to try.

Has anyone watched the Dan Gelbart video on metal prep for various coatings (including adhesives)?
He makes the case that solvents don't do much, that coarse abrasives like sandpaper don't do much, and that what is really important is chemical (or mechanical) preparation of the surface to actually remove the last hydrocarbon layer and increase the surface energy.

I use either the 3m or SEM panel adhesive where welding is not an option. I bought the gun a long time ago. It is expensive but this stuff really does work. I use rubbing alcohol or Wax and Grease remover first.
Many body shops use this stuff for replacing large body panels to avoid the heat of welding.

I used JB Weld to mount a steel bushing on the nose of an aluminum body impact driver used in my mill's power draw bar. I did no surface prep other than wipe down with acetone. The bushing was a very loose slip fit to allow space for the JB. The impact driver has been hard at work for 2 years with no issues of the sleeve coming loose.
P1000802.resized.JPG

Last edited:
Used to work at an autobody shop when I was younger and we used a 3m product to bond things like truck bedsides to the bed and such.

Stuff was crazy strong. Better get it lined up right because once it was cured, you weren’t getting it back off unless you literally cut the metal apart. Replaced welding on a lot of panels, used it pretty much exclusively when attaching aluminum body panels.

Can’t remember the product number other than it was a 3m product that came in a 2 part mixing tube and we used a special gun to mix and apply it.

thanx for the replys however the parts in question are non functional and stationary,so I was thinking loctite would be sufficent and quicker but JB sounds like a good choice too........
For static and low-load applications I’ve used LocTite Ultra Gel Control super glue. The aluminum channels I glued to plexiglass two years ago are still in place.

For static and low-load applications I’ve used LocTite Ultra Gel Control super glue. The aluminum channels I glued to plexiglass two years ago are still in place.
am surprised any "instant set substance would hold up thier normally brittle and come loose on any sudden jolt

Back