The Clouds are Clearing

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The clouds are clearing and the sky has brightened. For more than fifty years now, I have been drinking a local local beer called Heileman's Special Export almost exclusively. Originally, it was brewed in LaCrosse, WI by the G Heileman Brewing Company. The brand has changed hands several times in the past few decades and following has dropped off to the point where few publicans and restaurateurs have ever heard of it but I have remained loyal, having my glass a day with my supper.
Export _01.JPG

With the COVID pandemic, my wife has taken over the bi-weekly chore of food and beverage shopping. About two months ago, she was told that there was no Export and there wouldn't be any until October. I had seen an article last Spring about a shortage of CO2 causing a problem for the brewing industry. Go figure! Apparently much of the food grade CO2 is a byproduct from the ethanol fuel production and with the decrease demand for fuel due to the pandemic, ethanol production was down.

I had half of a thirty pack left which would carry me through a couple of weeks. With an unknown future ahead, I began a search for a replacement. MGD is a beer that I often drink when out and is close but not the same. I tried Pabst Blue Ribbon but it doesn't taste as good as it did in my college days. Some previous dinner guests had left a beer called Supper Club from the Capital Brewery in Madison, WI but it was like a cut above dish water. The horizon was looking dark indeed.

Well, last Tuesday, the wife was doing her biweekly shop and noticed that Export was on the shelf again. Hallelujah! Without hesitation, she bought four 30 packs. This is enough to last for almost four months and hopefully a vaccine will be approved, possibly taking us on a path out of this most miserable of years. Lesson learned, we will be restocking as supplies start to dwindle, trying to keep at least two months in reserve.:beer mugs:

We called Special Ex the Green Death when I was in college, because the next day you had the worst hangover ever.

But I know what you mean about stocking up. Last weekend the wife and I went to Winona MN to deliver a chair to her Mom. On the way home we stopped at a winery and bought 13 bottles. I also found some of my favorite cheese. Cranberry white cheddar from Maple Leaf Cheese out of Monroe, WI. That stuff is the best, coupled with a nice red. Heaven.
I saw one of my good friends today. It will be the last time I see him. Wish I could have shared this cheese with him, he appreciated good food, but God has other plans for him.

T
I am pretty sure that your wife is a keeper for sure! :clapping:
I like to keep a stock of Export also, except it’s an ale
Cheers
Martin
View attachment 341522
It has been some time since I last had a Molson. I didn't know they had an Export brand. The brewing industry is indeed full of entangling alliances. Curious about the similarity in logos, I did some checking. Molson is apparently part of the Coors conglomerate, as is Miller who is the current brewer of Heileman's Special Export.

I wouldn't be surprised that if we dug deep enough, we wouldn't fiind them all owned by Bass.

As long as they don't change the recipe of my Export, I don't care who owns them.

I remember Heileman's growing up in Wisconsin, along with a host of other local beers, Hams ( the beer refreshing), Blatz (smoother, fresher, less filling that's clear), Big Cat malt liquor, and on and on. In the mid sixties I had a 53 Mercury coupe, with no back seat, which allowed the transporting of vast amounts of PBR to local parties. Like RJ, I now generally have one a night with dinner. Started drinking Mexican beer many years ago, and now it's mostly Modelo in bottles. Picked up four cases last week so I don't have to go out to get it as often. Glad you were able to restock your favorite. Cheers, Mike

All right you reminiscing Old Farts - all this talk of G. Heileman and no mention of Old Style? :grin:
A few years back one of the small beer marts down here started carrying Old Style and Special Export.
For some odd reason the Old Style was selling out pretty quickly.
I still have a Hamm's tee-shirt in my stock...
An odd thing down here is that we don't get (24) or (30) pack cases except for the mainstream brews. It's all (6) & (12)s.

I read that about CO2 situ also, but find it hard to swallow (pun intended.) Going into the stores around here they are always stocked to the ceilings with In-Dev and Molson-Coors offerings.

Tecate has been my choice for a hunkering-down cerveza. A few months ago supply dried up.
Then it came back, only it was made in Holland by Heineken. It tasted different.
An informal survey showed that in D/FW and Central California, stock was still coming from the brewery in Baja California.
Then the Holland brewed variant dried up a month ago. And then just this past week it's back in stock, and it's coming from Baja!
:beer:
Check out this 'fall-back' brew I tried out during the shortages. Narragansett.

YeeHaw brewery in Nashville had a seasonal cerveza this summer that was pretty decent.

Back