The day after.

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Saw these at the grocery store today. Got my groceries and at check out I asked the lady if anyone was buying turkeys today. What do you think the answer was. The store I shop at donates food to the local area food bank so I am sure they will not be wasted.

Attachments

• IMG_1946.MOV
    25.5 MB
Until this year (when my wife bought an 'extra' turkey ahead of time) I have always bought one or two turkeys on Black Friday - typically at 50% off the previous day's price. It's one of the best Black Friday deals you're likely to find.

GsT

Oh yeah. Today we bought a turkey for half the price it was _before_ Thanksgiving. Less than a buck a pound, and this is on the west coast. For just the two of us, that's a lot of hot turkey sandwiches, Reubens, turkey-rice soup, stock, you name it. It was tempting to buy another one but our freezer is maxed out at the moment!

The Reubens will have home-made sauerkraut in there. Mmmm.

I've seen wild turkeys before and they are a completely different critter, compared to the domesticated ones. One group we came across could care less about us, but we didn't have anything to shoot them with (and it wasn't turkey season). Smart birds. I think B. Franklin had a good idea when it came to naming the turkey our national bird.

Ah, wild turkey...I've had it to eat just once. And once was enough; like eating a freshly boiled work boot. Tough.
My host for that experience admitted that's the payback for the thrill of the hunt and not paying food store prices for farm raised birds.
Never again.

My wife works for a company that gives us a turkey for Thanksgiving. We give it away. It’s a good deal for somebody. Lol

Ah, wild turkey...I've had it to eat just once. And once was enough; like eating a freshly boiled work boot. Tough.
My host for that experience admitted that's the payback for the thrill of the hunt and not paying food store prices for farm raised birds.
Never again.
I used to hunt turkeys and yes they are tough birds. Exactly what I would expect from a critter that exercises those wing and leg muscles the way they do. Same goes for wild pheasant and grouse. Keep your chompers well sharpened.

I saw an article a few days ago about heirloom turkeys selling for $150 - $200. For that kind of money. I would skip the tradition and buy some ribeye's or a prime rib roast.

Back