[4]

The End Of Enco?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
From NYC CNC's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NYCCNC/?fref=nf

It appears that as of August, Enco will be no more. It will be absorbed by its parent company MSC.

I am sure that many of us have fortified our shops with purchases made with the frequent 20% off/free shipping offers. While MSC makes similar offers, they are usually limited to purchases of several hundred $.

I have been an Enco customer for more than thirty years. It will be missed.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
+1 on that, RJ. They have a fairly crummy online catalog, but their prices, delivery time, and customer service is excellent. We need more like Enco, not less...

Doubleeboy

Active User
Registered
Been shopping at Enco since 1983, when most of their tooling was US or European made, what a change. lately they have quit sending me email offers, the selection in sale flyer has gotten worse and MSC who I rarely do business with, calls me to ask me to use them and that they would give me same prices. MSC screwed me out of a $200 credit I had with J&L when they bought out J &L ten years ago, MSC can go to hell , horrible prices , no customer service, who needs em, Shars here I come.

michael

RJSakowski

The problem that I have with Shars and other on-line vendors is they have a very limited product line. There are times when you have to go to a full line vendor and Enco had a reasonably full line of products.

I can't say that I have ever had a bad experience with Enco. The only incident that I can recall was when I bought an R8 collet set and the 1/32" collet was replaced with a second 3/32" collet. At work, MSC was a preferred vendor and we always had a good experience with their products and deliveries. But then, we were a Fortune 500 company with a large manufacturing operation and so commanded their attention and respect.

jim18655

Active User
I'll miss Enco. Good service, fast shipping, and good sales. No local Grizzly tent sale and now Enco. I feel lost.

Bob Korves

From what I have seen, MSCs prices are not competitive? I hope I am wrong.
Robert
Correct. MSC prices are not competitive, and their minimum order amounts for discounts and free delivery promotions put them out of reach. Their prices make their sales meaningless, anyway.

Bob Korves

Been shopping at Enco since 1983, when most of their tooling was US or European made, what a change. lately they have quit sending me email offers, the selection in sale flyer has gotten worse and MSC who I rarely do business with, calls me to ask me to use them and that they would give me same prices. MSC screwed me out of a $200 credit I had with J&L when they bought out J &L ten years ago, MSC can go to hell , horrible prices , no customer service, who needs em, Shars here I come.

michael
I have only placed one small order with MSC, for a couple small vise handles. The catalog description was not even close to what was sent and the sealed factory packaging had the correct vendor and MSC part numbers. MSC would not pay the freight for a return on them or refund my freight for the original delivery. I just checked, the catalogue still has them described wrong, several years later. Goodbye!

Edit: I bought my drill press from Enco, a Taiwanese 17" floor model. Still going strong. I just went and checked the build date, 1986. They had very good mail order catalogs in those days...

Last edited:

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
That is sad. :bawling: Now I need a 25% off and free shipping code soon. I want a Noga.

Doubleeboy

Active User
Registered
That is sad. :bawling: Now I need a 25% off and free shipping code soon. I want a Noga.
If you see a good sale code, please post it or send me a PM, they have cut me off from notification of sales. Their latest trick is to have trucking co bill you for freight even when is was truck freight free. Enco has been ruined by MSC. There was a time when MSC was a half decent company. I bought thousands $ worth of USA made tooling from them at good prices, I think I have bought from twice in last 10 years. Now that Shars is starting to sell some more upscale tooling and end mills, they will likely get my money and ebay.

cheers
michael

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I started buying from Enco back in the 80's also. I was lucky enough to have one of their stores not too far from here. It closed in the mid 90's and I miss it, but I have done quite a bit of mail order business with them, never a problem or a complaint. As some of you have mentioned, MSC prices don't even compare with Enco's, though I don't understand why. I figured something was up when I stopped receiving Enco discount emails and started receiving them from MSC instead. I will not say for sure just yet what I intend to do, but since I have been a happy Shars customer as well, I suspect that I will look there first. I guess I can say goodbye to discounts from MSC, I rarely ever purchase anything of any great value anymore, as I have already purchased most of the major items that I need for my shop. I guess time will tell the tale, but I will miss Enco, I've purchased quite a few things from them over the years.

Stonebriar

Active User
I don't know how they could go out of business, they get a lot of my money. Not a fan of MSC. They always screw you on shipping.

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
I will miss those sales from Enco. For MSC prices, I can just order from McMaster Carr, being in CA I get two day shipping with regular UPS. I suspect that they were rolled into MSC not because they weren't making money, but because they could lay off a bunch of staff to save money by consolidating. I'm curious to see what happens, but I don't have much hope that this won't screw things up. MSC is obviously targeted at large business customers that place orders of thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars at a time, and I don't see that changing.

alloy

Well its official. I just got an email from MSC saying Enco will become MSC.

They say they will offer the same prices as we are paying at Enco and have additional weekly promotions. And they have set me up with a new MSC account number.

I would post the entire email, but I'm on my phone and can't do that. If I think about it I will do that after work today.

I guess I'm skeptical about the same prices and promotions. I use Enco almost weekly and at MSC prices I will be buying a lot less and shopping on EBay.

CraigB1960

New Member Liaison
I get both Enco and MSC discount offers through email. MSC does not even come close to Enco's offering and discounts. I guess we will see how it goes in August, but I suspect I will be buying from Shars if MSC does not continue the pricing and discounting that Enco offered.

Cheeseking

Active User
Registered
Just for grins I went to msc site and looked up "vactra" to see what a gallon of #2 way oil costs. $37.91. Even if I buy over $149 worth of stuff and get 25% off the gallon still costs $28.43
Current Enco web price $18.00

Somehow I don't see the Enco pricing model porting over when they flip the switch!

Charles Spencer

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
This is the reply I got when I asked if Enco was closing:

"Hi Charles,

We are excited to announce that effective August 27, 2016, Enco business will be integrating into its' parent company, MSC Industrial Supply Co. Joining these two companies will seamlessly consolidate Enco under one of the strongest brands in industrial supply and provides you with access to everything you need, all in one convenient place.

For now, you can continue to shop with Enco under your Enco account number shown below. You can still place an order with Enco at our website http://www.use-enco.com or call us toll-free 800-873-3626. You're also welcome to shop with MSC or learn more about this change by visiting MSC's website at http://www.mscdirect.com/enco.

Either way, we appreciate your business and we look forward to assisting you in the future with your machinery and tooling needs. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Doug - Enco Operations

Monday, June 20, 2016"

alloy

In order to deliver you better service and more value, we are excited to announce that Enco will become MSC in late
August 2016.

Joining these two companies will seamlessly consolidate Enco under one of the strongest brands in industrial supply – MSC – and provides you with access to over one million industrial tools and supplies and a more robust service offering.

When you shop MSC you’ll get the best of both worlds*:
  • Up to 30% off MSC catalog prices – every day
  • The same prices you paid at Enco
  • Additional weekly promotional offers
  • Our low cost Freight Saver℠ shipping service
  • A superior website experience
Here’s what you need to know:
  • We’ve set you up with a new MSC account number so you can start shopping today
  • Discounted pricing is loaded to your account – for instant savings
  • You can log in to mscdirect.com to see your special pricing
  • After August 27, 2016, use-enco.com will redirect users to mscdirect.com

Getting started is easy:
Simply use your new pre-approved MSC user name ************ to experience the MSC difference today.

Be sure to log in today and start saving.

Last edited:

DoogieB

Active User
Registered
Ahh, but I checked and the MSC prices are not the same prices I paid at Enco. Not even close. :(

As far as I can tell, Enco has been owned by MSC for about twenty years. I wonder what made them to finally decide to absorb Enco into the mothership?

Shars is basically an Ebay seller of imported tooling, of which I pretty much have all I want already. Also, it seems that Shar's makes most of their profit on shipping charges. I remember getting my Chinese Tombstone from Enco on sale, an additional 25% off and free shipping. I guess I won't be seeing those deals again.

dlane

Active User
I'm guessing Enco was beating msc in sales , so instead of msc the parent company going under there pulling Enco in to keep msc afloat

dave2176

Active User
Registered
My MSC July hot deals flyer came today. On page 3 it says to logon to mscdirect.com/enco for the same prices you got in the past 12 months from Enco. Does that mean we can expect the regular MSC pricing on things that we haven't purchased in the past 12 months?

alloy

If you look in the flyer, some items say Enco on them? Wonder why that is?

TomS

Active User
I got my monthly Enco flyer in the mail yesterday. It says the same thing about MSC carrying Enco products and the same pricing paid at Enco in the past 12 months. Not sure how to interpret these statements but my guess is MSC will sell everything that Enco sells at MSC prices. Only time will tell.

Tom S.

RJSakowski

I interpreted the discount as applying only to those who had purchased from Enco in the past year. The implication being that new customers would not enjoy the same discount. Also, they changed their discounting procedure to be automatically applied to your purchases, based on your account rather than a promotion code which could be passed on to anyone and used.

Here is Enco's FAQ sheet.

If one is contemplating any future purchases from MSC/Enco and haven't purchased anything from Enco in the past year, it might be a good idea to make a purchase from Enco prior to their Aug. 27th absorption into MSC so that you qualify for the "purchase from Enco in the past year" status.

Attachments

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
I did my account switch over during lunch, and the results are interesting.

this is the price for a gallon of Vactra #2
  • logged in or out of ENCO $18.00
  • logged out of MSC $37.91
  • logged into MSC with my transferred account $21.99
  • logged into MSC with my transferred account when i add it to my cart $18.00
cart.jpeg

So I can get the ENCO price through MSC, but it looks like they have a few bugs to work out.

Baithog

Florida Machinist Group Moderator
Registered
I interpreted the discount as applying only to those who had purchased from Enco in the past year. The implication being that new customers would not enjoy the same discount. Also, they changed their discounting procedure to be automatically applied to your purchases, based on your account rather than a promotion code which could be passed on to anyone and used.

Here is Enco's FAQ sheet.

If one is contemplating any future purchases from MSC/Enco and haven't purchased anything from Enco in the past year, it might be a good idea to make a purchase from Enco prior to their Aug. 27th absorption into MSC so that you qualify for the "purchase from Enco in the past year" status.
Also note that the Enco price only applies to products that you have been puchasing from Enco. Sounds to me like you will pay MSC prices if you haven't ordered that tool bit before. "you will receive those same prices on those products at MSC".

I have been buying more and more tooling from Amazon using my prime membership. I'll probably get machinery from Grizzly in the future. And my tooling from amazone and others. MSC has always been the higher priced option for similar merchandise and their shipping policies downright dumb for the digital retail world we live in. I won't say that I will not buy from MSC, because I have in the past, but it is not likely that they will become my go-to source. Of course that may just be what they are trying to do. After all, they make a lot more from industrial customers than us hobbyists.

[6]
[5] [7]