The failed attempt thread!

What gets my goat is when something doesn't turn out the way I wanted and I can't figure out what went wrong!!! :mad: But, usually it's just a stupid mistake. The older I get, the more I seem to make. Oh well, like I say, I'll never complain about getting older!

As Bill said, the better you get at being a machinist, the better you get at adjusting things so you can still use the work piece rather than scrapping it. When on the job making something to a print this can't typically be done. But, in the home shop making something for yourself gives you much more freedom to make "adjustments". ;)

That tool holder the OP made will work just fine the way it is..... that shaper will never know the difference.

Ted

I was told that a good machinist can fix their screw-ups.

If you can remove metal, you gotta be able to put some back sometimes.
Every machinist needs a welder!

Something went from my lathe, right into the scrap bucket last night!

My whole life is a learning experience then....

I have said that the grass is always greener on the other side until you get to the other side and find all the cow pies scattered around.

I don’t usually keep my fails around but this one I have mainly because it makes me laugh at myself every time I look at it. As you can see it’s pretty obvious what it is, right? It’s a steak turner for turning your meat on the barbecue. Or is it?...

6E2CC095-C670-45A3-9086-B48A019EC139.jpeg

It was one of my first “measured” projects at the forge, and by measured I mean something with a specific structure as opposed to just beating on something to see what happens. Anyhow, it’s not complicated but it it a bit of an exercise in keeping track of which bend or curve to make where and in what direction and order. Anyone who sews will immediately recognize this as well, and my mom would come up some real dillies sometimes with hilarious results.

Here’s the second attempt, much closer to what I was after. Hopefully you can notice the difference...

9C69524D-FCF2-467A-933B-4E7444D57FB7.jpeg

-frank

My mentor was an old toolmaker trained in London England in the 1920'S & his comment after a few of my mistakes was "You can not consider yourself a toolmaker until you can get your self out of the trouble that you got yourself into and finish the project with out scrapping it"!!

That was a hard lesson that took me some time to earn! That was 60 years ago and I still learn a new lesson on a regular schedule.

Back