The final recumbent trike.

th62

Active User
Registered
I finished this one off some time ago. Unfortunately, not long after finishing it, my hips gave up and I had to have it replaced, and so began a five year battle trying to fix the surgeon's stuff up. Eventually, I sold it, but I did enjoy some good rides on it before parking it. I won't be making anymore though, although my hip has been replaced, again, and it presents no more problems, it's just too hard getting out of the thing and is too much of a battle for my weary old body now. Although I did discover if you race up to the finishing spot and jam on the brakes, the momentum forward continues, literally throwing me out of the seat, providing I get the timing right.

So, when finished it sported:
9 position adjustable suspension,
27 speeds,hydraulic disk brakes,
tank steering,
42 degree seat back,
Lumbar support.
20" wheels at front,
700c wheel at back,
luggage rack,
Water bottle rack with adjustable drinking tube,
Deore cycle components,
Delrin bearings in steering arms and steering bushings,
Left and right threads on tie rod ends for ease of adjusting,
2 degree caster and camber,
19kgs weight.

It was a good project building this last one, but all good things must end, and so ends my recumbent days, I now have an ebike.

Attachments

• 98331064_2690956187831077_4529054476899713024_n.jpg
    98331064_2690956187831077_4529054476899713024_n.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 55
Very cool!

Please explain the Hydraulic Brakes and the Tank Steering.

Hydraulic disk brakes, I think the name says it all, not cable operated, operated by a master cylinder, hose, brake fluid and soon, same as a car or motorbike.. Tank steering is just two levers, one either side of where you sit, move them forward or back to turn left or right.

Nice looking bike! The beauty of hydraulics is the ability to control 2 calipers with one MC. Is there some benefit to having independent left and right circuits?

It certainly could, and be a lot of fun, just too hard to get out of the things for me, we all get old.

Nice looking bike! The beauty of hydraulics is the ability to control 2 calipers with one MC. Is there some benefit to having independent left and right circuits?
Not really, just ease of buiilding, the brakes are front and rear off a mountain bike, I just didn't see any benefit in building a junction block

Really cool. On my too long "I wanna" list. Any lessons to pass on about steering geometry?

I loved my recumbents and hated having to stop riding, the usual, hips and knees.
I've been trying to find someone to take on the tilting trike but so far no such luck. I really dont want to dump it.

Back