The Frankenmixer - Dakota Instruments Precision Flowmeters - Ar, He, CO₂, O₂ for gas mixing station

General Zod

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
I hadn't posted this here, so I figured might as well. I created this last year, so it's kinda a re-post of info I had already posted elsewhere.

These are flowmeters I purchased to create my own gas mixing station as opposed to buying professional-level gas mixers that cost upwards of $1000+ each.

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

For the proportions, I created a spreadsheet called "Flow conversion calculator & Gas Mix Calculator". It does all the math for me after I wrote in the equations for the spreadsheet to solve. Here is a screenshot of the spreadsheet that solves the multitude of matrix calculations:

uc

Here is the little setup I made for it so it threads onto one of my tanks.

uc

and here it is working, with great consistent results :cool:

uc

So I finished that 1st protype in December '19, and since then I'd been commissioned to make a 2nd one (an Ar/ CO₂ but didn't get to take pics), a 3rd one (Ar, dual CO₂, and O₂), and a 4th one soon to commence for Argon/Helium.

This is the 3rd one I just shipped out to a customer in South Carolina.

uc

uc

Questions? :)

Last edited:
HI OSCAR...........
Nice project with the flow meters..............
With the argon/helium mix will that be added to the spreadsheet or other............
You do nice work........... and thanks for all the INFO...........
ZZBOB...........

I can definitely add it to the spreadsheet. Thanks for the compliment.

I hadn't posted this here, so I figured might as well. I created this last year, so it's kinda a re-post of info I had already posted elsewhere.

These are flowmeters I purchased to create my own gas mixing station as opposed to buying professional-level gas mixers that cost upwards of $1000+ each.

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

For the proportions, I created a spreadsheet called "Flow conversion calculator & Gas Mix Calculator". It does all the math for me after I wrote in the equations for the spreadsheet to solve. Here is a screenshot of the spreadsheet that solves the multitude of matrix calculations:

uc

Here is the little setup I made for it so it threads onto one of my tanks.

uc

and here it is working, with great consistent results :cool:

uc

So I finished that 1st protype in December '19, and since then I'd been commissioned to make a 2nd one (an Ar/ CO₂ but didn't get to take pics), a 3rd one (Ar, dual CO₂, and O₂), and a 4th one soon to commence for Argon/Helium.

This is the 3rd one I just shipped out to a customer in South Carolina.

uc

uc

Questions? :)
Very tidy installation!

Rather than run the three wye splits, why not make a block manifold? It would tidy up your hoses for sure and eliminate potential snag points. I've seen Smiths mixers in your shop pics before, is there something about those bulletproof systems that you wanted to change? I like how your mixer is universal for many mixes.

Rather than run the three wye splits, why not make a block manifold? It would tidy up your hoses for sure and eliminate potential snag points. I've seen Smiths mixers in your shop pics before, is there something about those bulletproof systems that you wanted to change? I like how your mixer is universal for many mixes.

I like the added versatility of using the valves at the Wye's. You must be confused about Smith mixers in my shop, as I don't have any nor would I want to pay that kind of money for a mixer that I can replicate (IMO) for a lot less and with more versatility.

I AM NOT WORTHY, GENERAL ZOD!!!!

very impressive gas mixer.
i considered mixing my own inerts, but you went and did it better than i could have imagined!
my hat is off to you, good sir!!! :grin:

Thank you!.

If anyone would like a quote for their very own Frankenmixer, please fill out this form for a quick quote. :)

my original frankenmixer is for sale minus the helium flowmeter.

Back