'The' Guide for Wooden Machinist Tool Chests

I recently acquired an old Gerstner 42 and this guide helped me figure out what it was. Excellent resource. Now to find even more! ;)

i have 4 gerstners and a pilloid. the first gerstner i paid $900.00 for . it had around $2500 or more in measuring tools,some new. the others i paid $350.00 or less. the pilloid was $20.00 i am now restoring a gerstner dental tool box that was leatherette covered. i removed the leatherette. cost was $75.00. what i'm getting at is if you keep a sharp lookout ; they are out there. on another note; on gerstners website; they will restore my dental box for $2750.00 (that wasn't a misprint). you gotta laugh!!

Thanks for the post. I look at old boxes all the time, but I too have found that they want two bars of gold.

more of my thoughts about current gerstner prices. after searching e-bay; i belive that a good price now is in the $500.00 to 700.00 range. beware that the ones called gerstner international use plywood. and the dental/machinest boxes that are leatherette are a mix of plywood,particalboard , walnut and pine. the drawers are oak. oh, the price range that i mention is for the larger 052 models. there is one in lake havasu az. that is loaded with tools and has a base, that is priced at $1500.00 i think. with tools and a base that is probably a good price ($300.00 shipping)

I "think" they still use plywood veneer for the larger pieces (like the back) for stability purposes, even on the ones made in Dayton. Larger pieces of solid wood at these thinner dimensions have a higher tendency to crack or warp.

all of mine are solid oak except the dental box. however the newest one might be 40 years old.

Back