The Infamous 4x6 Bandsaw square cut...

So you only had to remount one of the two ears? Was there enough slop in the bore of the other one so that you didn't need to do them both?
Just wondering- Glad you got it, much more serious mod than most people are prepared to do. Probably cuts like a bandit now!
-Mark

C-Bag, It's just my guess, like John said, the saw as it travels down the cut, the blade is angled slightly out to counteract the inwards swing of the blade, so it starts off cutting out "\", and then as the pressure of swing inwards, the blade get's twisted so the cut hooks around and starts cutting back the other way. Mind you, I was making test cuts on a 2x4 block of wood so much easier to turn then in steel and also a 3.5" cut so plenty of time to do crazy things.

Mark. Right, there was enough slop in the inner ear to shim the other pivot and it ended up being tight and square. The slop in the other pivot concerns me as now the pressure in that bore is really on two points only right? So it will probably wear more quickly. I wanted to make sure this worked before spending time/money on bearings or bushings.

Suggestions for when these wear out to upgrade to bushings or bearings?

Thanks again for all the help. It was a little daunting but in reality it only took a maybe 4 hours total off and on working on it in between other things throughout the day. Anyone can do this stuff!

Back