The joggle demystified

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My projects seem to follow a long arc of inception then once solidified a search for material. Often the progress is dictated by when and if the appropriate material shows up.

Since we moved in almost 14yrs ago the side gate that is big enough that an RV can go through it has been a wreck. Last fall I finally found the appropriate steel tubing and have been finalizing the design in my head. Of course it’s complicated because the driveway is pretty steep towards the garage and there is a really thick cement ramp where the vehicle would go along side of the house. Like almost 20” thick even with the house to make a smooth transition to the back yard. There is a gap between the house and the ramp where there is a man gate. Everything is at relative angles so it took a lot of brain simmering to come up with a plan.

I think I’ve got a picture now but the final macro detail was what to finish the gate with. I originally thought of cedar fencing like the rest of my fence. But it’s pretty heavy and the main gate will be 8’L x 6’H. Then I saw several 17’ x8’ sectional garage doors that people were getting rid of for free! My thought was using it to fill the frame with and then it would look like my garage door next to it. Of course those all went away and I’m back on the search for almost 2mo now. My next “dawning“ was using metal siding that would match our new Hardyboard siding. But nobody seems to make that pattern, or my Google Fu hasn’t turned it up. It would be basically a repeating joggle horizontally trying to imitate the Hardyboard. I’ve contemplated how to make a joggle and was stymied. Until I found this vid.

Hey Tony,

I have used that technique with the English wheel acting as the vice such that you get a progressive joggle as you move the material through the wheels. I have also done it with thicker material in the hydraulic press.

Hi Bill,

I was wondering if I could use my bead roller with my flat rolls. So your dawning about the EW is also applicable. The material I’m thinking would be like 22 to 26ga galvalume. Of course the other kink is that gate faces south and we get some insane winds periodically. Couple of years ago one gust was clocked at 77mph! So far my sectional garage door has held up ok.

How steep have you made a joggle Bill? Close to 90deg? I’m thinking the steeper the joggle, the stronger it is.

Last edited:
The stiffening effect is both angle and depth. My jogs were only 1X-2X the material thickness so no need to make them near vertical.

I have joggle dies for my bead roller but again, not very deep. They could be a bit deeper than what I made. The nice thing about the bead roller is you can adjust the dies to make the joggle as shallow or as steep as you need it to be.

Very true. The potential problem with using the bead roller is the depth of the throat. And feeding an eight foot long strip of galvalume through even with a fence is a bit of a challenge. I’m liking the EW more and more with the type of setup in the vid.

Where did you learn that trick? They never showed us that in aircraft school…..

I don't recall where I saw that technique but I'm sure it was online somewhere many years ago.

Think about doing a two-stage process in the bead roller where you only get the first bend on the first pass. How many passes will you need to get the panel fully formed? My bead roller is only about 10" throat depth.

I know a bit about wind loads, we lost the mid 90's vintage 10'x12' roll-up door on the west end of the hangar in hurricane Ian. The wind entering the hangar blew out latches on the east-facing 55' wide bi-fold door. Seeing a two ton door flapping in the wind for hours like a bed sheet on a clothes line was negatively impressive. Thankfully it didn't end up on the ground.......

The roll-up door is a series of narrow interlocking sheet metal panels. Could yours be done using multiple panels?

That’s what I was thinking from the git go. Easier to handle and built in reinforcement. Basically mimicking the sectional door. My thought though is I’ll have to make some kind of drainage because the gate is outside so the back where all this structure is will get standing water in it. A bead down the middle with a couple of holes should do the trick. This rabbit hole is getting pretty deep.

I'm sure my ex-rollup door was roll formed. The same would be more difficult to do with a bead roller but at least possible. Or flanges and rivets would work too with the rivet heads under the jogs where they would be almost hidden from the front view. A few drain holes if they are needed. My door that failed was galvanized and painted white -- no rust after 25+ years in service.

Nothing to add, but thank you for the link - sheet metal has always been a weak link for me - this takes me one step closer to being somewhat useful with it.

GsT

Back