The Machine Shop Has Been Closed

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Well not like I have customers anyway, just a personal hobby. :big grin:

I'm so sick of sanding & painting! Been working on my front doors for the past 2 days. :frown: Restained & 2nd coat of clear is drying now. 2 more coats to go. #imnotawoodworker

20200625_192104.jpg20200626_140322.jpg20200626_171445.jpg20200627_132920.jpg

There's a new bird's nest above out front door. The parents have been crying & watching me closely everytime I'm out there working. They're just worried about their babies but of course I won't bother them. Not the first time we've had a nest up there. I was worried about the paint fumes affecting them, especially the babies. Read that paint fumes can be lethal for birds. They seem to be ok still.

20200625_171223.jpg20200625_165748.jpg20200625_171206.jpg

Oh man Dark! I have the same doors inside and on cupboards. I HATE wood...hate working with it and don't even know where to start. Any steps you can tell me to get the same results? I took 5 weeks off for my "covid-palozza" house repairs are about #1 on the list. Front deck, rear deck, replace 42' of fence and the door cupboards inside...ALL WOOD....

Oh man Dark! I have the same doors inside and on cupboards. I HATE wood...hate working with it and don't even know where to start. Any steps you can tell me to get the same results? I took 5 weeks off for my "covid-palozza" house repairs are about #1 on the list. Front deck, rear deck, replace 42' of fence and the door cupboards inside...ALL WOOD....

Oh man, I don't even want to think of when I have to do the cabinets & shelving! o_O

Haha, same here, I'm not a wood guy & I don't like working with it either. I wish I could give you tips but I'm lost when it comes to wood. I just sanded with 100-150 grit. Stained. Then 4 coats of clear, light sanding w/ 220 in between coats. Well I just finished the 3rd coat, one more to go & I'm soooo looking foward to the end of this. Had to do all the sanding by hand, that sucked!

It's no where near perfect but I'm using the 10ft rule. If it looks good from 10 ft away it's good enough for me! :D Looks 20 times better than it used to be & I'm just glad the color match came out good.

It's no where near perfect but I'm using the 10ft rule. If it looks good from 10 ft away it's good enough for me! :D

Hm....................that's what I tell 'em at work ! I can't see it from my house ! :grin:

There are so many nooks and crannies, just sand paper? Seems like there are foam blocks that conform to the shape your sanding....nothing like that?Steel wool? Scotch Brite? Or is that the metal guy in me talking?

Yeah all them nooks & crannies is what killed me! The flats I used a sanding block but all the squares is what was time consuming. Plus someone repainted the door previously and I tried to sand out all the small drips & bubbles. I didn't sand it down to bare wood except I pretty much got there at the bottom of the doors where most of the wear/weathering was.

If it hadn't been for the weathering I suppose just light sanding or scotchbrite would have been fine? I only used maroon scotchbrite after staining before the first coat of clear. For all them nooks & crannies I used pieces of emery tape, what I use on the lathe. I tried to keep costs down & use what I had. In the end all I ended up buying was stain & clear. BTW I was reminded that HF sandpaper sucks! Now I know why it was hiding in the bottom drawer. :D

Looking good.
I dont hate woodwork just not happy with it.
Todays job is sanding three bench tops then coating in clear.
I will be using a 2 pack in the hope I wont have to re-do them in my remaining lifetime.
I am so sick of home building and am very desperate to get back to my binocular

Back