The madness needs to stop...how about a GROUP PROJECT?

@extropic There are lot of big name YouTubers that have got together to do this, but I think even Tony did something for Project Egress, when they rebuilt the moon lander....it's been a while. Go through his vids and Blondihcks for more of this. Seems like its a thing I know Tony and Ron Covell did a crazy over built dust pan...I know it sounds crazy.
ThisOldTony

Even Better...
ProjectEgress

That is kind of what I was thinking. Would have to be something kind of simple with just a few parts of roughly similar material value.

Something like one of these tool makers clamps would be a possibility. It could be done a few ways probably generating 5-7 pieces with some wiggle room in division of labor. Something like this also favors using different machines, so someone who only has a mill or just a lathe can still participate, and possibly gets a tool that would be difficult to make in their shop. Also small enough that a guy with a Bridgeport and a guy with a mini-mill could both participate.

Lets call it 5 pieces, so you make 5 of your parts, and everybody gets what they need to build a clamp, make 10 and everybody gets a pair of clamps. Five is small enough to be able to find enough interested parties, but also small enough that if there were a lot of interest it could be broken into multiple project groups (2 groups of 5, 3 groups of 5 etc). Cheap and simple enough that if a participant fails to come through with their part not really a big deal, someone else can step in and make the parts or it can just be finished on your own.

View attachment 356384

The clamps are just to illustrate the kind of thing I think would be a good starting point for such a project. A fairly simple project to help smooth over the inevitable bumps. If it works then it could get more ambitious, if it fails no one is out much but some time and material. The actual item built could also take advantage of what individuals bring to it, machines available, skills, comfort levels, desired objectives.

I think one of the major learning benefits of group project like this would be having to build to a spec. No fudging and hand fitting, because you don't have the other parts until, everybody is done.
See, I would find something like that to be less interesting. If it is simple (like those clamps), I would think I would spend more time dealing with shipping stuff out than I would to just make the whole thing in the first place.

The selling point for me is to be able to make a part to something complicated and cool, and see it come together.

Think of something like a prefabricated building (not the mobile home type) when all the parts are made off site, different places by different people. It's kind of awe-inspiring watching it all come together.. the information on those blueprints coming together. SO....
1) it needs to have a level of precision (low tolerance)
2) it needs to be somewhat complicated...multiple parts
3) help me here!

See, I would find something like that to be less interesting. If it is simple (like those clamps), I would think I would spend more time dealing with shipping stuff out than I would to just make the whole thing in the first place.

The selling point for me is to be able to make a part to something complicated and cool, and see it come together.

I agree it is less interesting, I mean those clamps are the kind of thing many would just buy instead of make and I was just throwing those out there as an idea for a simple project.

I've seen group projects in other areas and they usually fizzle out, as people who signed up find they are over their head or just plain lose interest, so I see doing something complex right out the gate as doomed to failure.

If you start small without too much commitment, or risk, from there you could see how it worked, address issues that popped up and help to build a group of people who really know what they are in for and will enjoy the project.

Both routes (one object or multiple copies) have fun factor. I would pitch in for sure!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

There has been some of this collaboration on HM already. I note that 2 people are currently designing and building an XRF on this site. I am certain they will succeed. Previously a build was started for the HM shop made surface grinder. That has stalled. Perhaps someone (sometwo, somethree or someN) should pick this back up?!
Robert

Wow! A surface grinder...that's huge! Maybe a big bigger (size and weight) for my undertaking, but any rate...lets start another project. Did someone say the diving head seemed big?

Wow! A surface grinder...that's huge! Maybe a big bigger (size and weight) for my undertaking, but any rate...lets start another project. Did someone say the diving head seemed big?
It's on the complicated side(depending on the style), but I think would be doable.

Great idea! You are guaranteed to hit some bumps in the road regardless of the project type and who is involved so I would worry less about what specifically happens and focus on what will keep the project moving as frequently as possible. A couple of suggestions for your consideration:

1) Shipping. One might consider the wisdom of picking a project that fits inside no larger than a Large Priority Mail box. That keeps your shipping cost to about $20 and the project parts/assemblies can be up to 70lbs and ship to all 50 states.

2) Membership. I would limit participation to those that are donating members or have been members for a minimum amount of time and with minimum number of posts.

3) Project selection. I think doing a group project that is a shared tool or device is a really great idea. Tool sharpening jigs, dividing head, milling attachment, etc. that members who built the project have access to.

4) Youtube?

Back