The most dangerous creature in Australia hunting humans

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Its that time of the year again where Australia's most dangerous creatures actively hunt humans.
Its so bad councils place warning signs such as this one.
mag1.jpg
and this one
mag2.jpg
They are lethal and can cause deaths.
But I like going against accepted wisdom and make friends with them
birds2 - Copy.jpg
This is dad with 2 kids.
It appears they have an approximate memory of 4 - 5 years.
We left this house 2 years ago but every time we visit the magpies warble away and fly down to greet us.

No kidding , it's the truth ! I traveled across entire Canada thru all thru the parks and up into the wilderness and this was the most dangerous sign we saw . :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    492.6 KB · Views: 60
Shades of Hitchcock's "the Birds". We don't have magpies but red winged blackbirds will aggressively defend their nesting area. I haven't known any injuries caused by them but they make strafing passes, coming within a foot or so of a threat. It's enough to run off predatory cats though. Barn swallows exhibit a similar behavior when one approaches their nests.

No magpies here but I remember them from my home town. I kind of liked them for some reason, maybe just because they were cool-looking. Crows, on the other hand, abound in these parts and many a Victorian has been head-pecked at least once by the creatures. And then there's owls. If you happen to be wearing anything that looks like a small critter, pompom on your toque perhaps, beware. I had a security guard once who was attacked on her rounds one winter -- ended up with scratches on her face and a black eye!

Too many corn/soybean fields around me and enough dense woods that the crows and such keep to themselves.
A few years back I was on the way home from work on my bike, topped a hill on a half busy state route and almost fell off the bike. A huge bald eagle was standing 3-4 feet off the road chowing down on roadkill deer. Pretty much ignoring everything but his meal. Cars, trucks, me and my straight pipes. Just kept eating. Still scary.

We had Peregrine falcons nest in the eve of our island place, and my wife wore a scooter helmet to do yard work. I came to an agreement with them to ignore me by greeting their attacks with the garden hose set to stun. Mike

Mockingbirds will also strafe to protect their nests. Had a dog years ago that was hunkered down to do his business in the back yard when a mockingbird swooped in and bounced off his butt. He jumped about a foot in the air. Was a funny sight to see.

Tom

Back