The next instalment of “Teach the New Guy”: Thread Micrometer.

Moderatemixed

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey everyone. I have a question regarding Thread Micrometers. I have in my tool chest a Starrett 210A Screw Thread Micrometer. I also have 3 Starrett 575 Screw Thread Micrometer Callipers for measuring pitch diameter (14-20, 22-30, 32-40 TPI) To my question..... Which do I use as a hobby guy when I want to see how close I am to being done threading. Essentially what measurement are each of these reading, or do I have this all wrong? When single point threading I turn the major diameter, then start threading..... which mic tells me when to stop?

Regards,

Derek.

ccb7464b4f9b25e9db985ff36e6d2759.jpg
981021fd2fd758b6130d5fa7ae3edfcf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No. 575 AP through FP are for differing pitches. If you are measuring 16 pitch you need 575 CP
, otherwise the W Anvil won't fit in the threads. Hope this helps

Hey everyone. I have a question regarding Thread Micrometers. I have in my tool chest a Starrett 210A Screw Thread Micrometer. I also have 3 Starrett 575 Screw Thread Micrometer Callipers for measuring pitch diameter (14-20, 22-30, 32-40 TPI) To my question..... Which do I use as a hobby guy when I want to see how close I am to being done threading. Essentially what measurement are each of these reading, or do I have this all wrong? When single point threading I turn the major diameter, then start threading..... which mic tells me when to stop?

You would use the 575's; choose which one based on the TPI you're cutting.

The numbers on the barrel of the mic give you the pitch diameter of the thread you're cutting. It is a direct measurement of what the pitch diameter is of your thread. Every thread has a pitch diameter range you need to hit for a particular class of fit, and the more accurate your class of thread, the smaller the range of acceptable pitch diameters will be. You look that range up in a chart like the one I'm attaching below. Estimate your total depth of cut with the formula 0.750 / TPI; this gives you only an approximate total depth of cut. Well before you feed in this far, start checking your pitch diameter with your mic and use small depths of cut as you get closer to your range. Stop cutting when your pitch diameter is within the range for your thread.

Attachments

• American-Light-Screw-Socket-Thread-Specification-Sheet.pdf
    165.1 KB · Views: 16
I am trying to learn this by starting with a bolt from Home Depot, measuring Major, Minor diameters, Threads per inch and diameter then going into the Machinery’s Handbook to see what numbers are closest to what I have measured with each of the mic’s..... either I am completely helpless or bolts from Home Depot are absolute garbage.....

Thoughts?

Thanks Mikey. I’ll give it a go here shortly.

Derek

I am trying to learn this by starting with a bolt from Home Depot, measuring Major, Minor diameters, Threads per inch and diameter then going into the Machinery’s Handbook to see what numbers are closest to what I have measured with each of the mic’s..... either I am completely helpless or bolts from Home Depot are absolute garbage.....

Thoughts?

I understand your desire to learn the tool but measuring pitch dia from a questionable quality mass produced bolt is not going to tell you much. Pitch dia is not needed to identify a bolt size. Usually major diameter & thread pitch is all that's needed.

Pitch dia is for identifying class of fit for threads. Most hobbyist don't have a need to worry about pitch dia to hit a specific class of thread, single point till it fits. I rarely use my pitch mic set. I only use it if I need to make something for someone where I don't have the other mating part to test fit.

Don't be surprised if the bolt from the hardware store may not even fall within a class 1 thread. Bolts/screws made for sale at hardware store often made with rolled threads that have loose tolerances intentionally. Not saying they all are though.

Ok..... thanks Mikey, I think I might be getting this.

Bolt details.....

Diameter at Shank .3685
Diameter at Threads .3695
16 TPI advertised as 3/8”

My measured Pitch Diameter is .328 using the 14 to 20 pitch Starrett 575. So if my measurements are correct this bolt meets A2 specifications.

Your chart shows Major Diameter as .3737 to .359
Minor Diameter range as .3287 to .2992
Pitch Diameter at .3331

A quick addendum..... my Starrett 575 says 14 to 20P V and U.S. ST’D. Is that pitch correct for UNC and UNF Threads?

Thanks all!

Darkzero..... you are correct, it didn’t meet spec. I guess the original direction I was going with this thread was to learn what each mic actually measures, (Starrett 575 and 210A respectively) and as a hobby guy what do I use (other than thread wires) to accurately measure the minor diameter.

Darkzero..... you are correct, it didn’t meet spec. I guess the original direction I was going with this thread was to learn what each mic actually measures, (Starrett 575 and 210A respectively) and as a hobby guy what do I use (other than thread wires) to accurately measure the minor diameter.

Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood part of your post too. Carry on, it's good practice, & fun to learn as well as compare threads from various things/sources. :big grin:

If you haven't figured it out yet, in the MH you'll see class 1, 2, & 3. 1 being the loosest & 3 being the tightest. A is for external thread & B is internal. Not often do make anything with a class 3 fit unless it's a one off but certainly not required & no reason at all except practicing.

Ok..... thanks Mikey, I think I might be getting this.

Bolt details.....

Diameter at Shank .3685
Diameter at Threads .3695
16 TPI advertised as 3/8”

My measured Pitch Diameter is .328 using the 14 to 20 pitch Starrett 575. So if my measurements are correct this bolt meets A2 specifications.

Your chart shows Major Diameter as .3737 to .359
Minor Diameter range as .3287 to .2992
Pitch Diameter at .3331

A quick addendum..... my Starrett 575 says 14 to 20P V and U.S. ST’D. Is that pitch correct for UNC and UNF Threads?

Hardware store bolts are usually class 2A. Given that they are mass produced and that the coating on them varies in thickness, they will not be all that accurate when using a thread mic. Even the major diameter will vary greatly so as Will said, as long as it hits a general OD and TPI count, its usually okay for a hardware store bolt.

You will use your thread mics when you need to cut a thread to fit a part that is already made or when something calls for a specific class of fit. Say you're making a bolt to fit a manufactured part and the part is not available to you but you are told it is not a critical fit. In that case, you would cut a class 2A thread and bring it to class 2A specs using your mic. Or say you wish a precision thread for one of your projects. In that case, you would turn your OD to a specific range and cut your threads to a class 3A range and you would be good to go.

Cutting to specs is not usually necessary in a hobby shop. I do it because I can and I enjoy working like that but if I'm in a rush, I cut to fit like most everyone else does.

Back