The perks of running a machine shop Museum

Seems like biggest perk with that would be if the museum doesn't need the item: "
"The museum is not interested in that like new Monarch lathe but you can drop it off here ___________ "your home address. Then trade up and up in machinery over the years selling off your old things or donating until you have the best machinery possible!

Believe me we have a lot of stuff in storage and we get a lot of stuff donated that we can't use in the museum, so we are always selling stuff. Some of it is too new, some of it we have 10 of already, and some doesn't add anything new to the story we are trying to tell. Although the Potter and Johnson shaper fits into the timeline of our shop, which is line shaft and early motorization, we already have plenty of shapers so this one would probably go into our back workshop where we do restoration work.

I was actually just on the Vintage Machinery site looking at an ad from 1919 for a similar P&J lathe and one of the interesting features the ad showed was a power rotary feed for planing internal curves! I had never heard of that future before.

I think I passed your museum on the way to ocean city last year??? I remember thinking "awesome!"
but the GF and son were like "no! beach!"
I don't see any info on the website. Is the museum even open to the public or just special events?

Yes you would have passed us on the right hand side. Tuckahoe as a whole is open on the first Saturday of every month from 10 to 4. But the Machine Shop Museum crew is usually there every Saturday if you wanted to stop by. But you may want to let me know beforehand so that I can make sure that I'm there or somebody's going to be there. There may be weekends when we all have other plans.

I'll keep it in mind!
I see on the website there's an old grist mill down the road from you and a couple other interesting things in the area.
(the 'Mill' in Mill Lee refers to the old grist mill that used to be on my property;))

I may have to make a non-beach trip down some Sat or weekend! Might have to have the GF drop me off with you lol
Are there decent hotels in your area?

Either way, I'll definitely check with you first to make sure the shop will be populated!

One of the perks of running a machine shop museum ( at Tuckahoe Steam & Gas Association) is getting to go look at items for possible donation. Today was one of those days. The most interesting item is a Potter and Johnson 15 inch shaper. It has automatic down feed and a universal table. The second item was a covel surface grinder but it has quite a bit of wear. The third item is a Hilles & Jones sheet metal roller that will do a piece of sheet metal about 5-1/2 eet wide. This thing was a beast. Notice the wooden handles on the turning end.

Already spoken for was his huge ass power hammer.

The worst part about this donation is that it's in a rural area and the dirt road leading to the house and workshop could best be described as a billy goat trail. Getting a truck and trailer in there is going to be a
That sounds like you were in Caroline County somewhere with the dirt roads

I'll keep it in mind!
I see on the website there's an old grist mill down the road from you and a couple other interesting things in the area.
(the 'Mill' in Mill Lee refers to the old grist mill that used to be on my property;))

I may have to make a non-beach trip down some Sat or weekend! Might have to have the GF drop me off with you lol
Are there decent hotels in your area?

Either way, I'll definitely check with you first to make sure the shop will be populated!

I think there's some decent hotels in Easton but I don't know much about them. Also if you check our Facebook page you'll see that we have a 3-day Fall Festival coming up the last three days of October.

Yes you would have passed us on the right hand side. Tuckahoe as a whole is open on the first Saturday of every month from 10 to 4. But the Machine Shop Museum crew is usually there every Saturday if you wanted to stop by. But you may want to let me know beforehand so that I can make sure that I'm there or somebody's going to be there. There may be weekends when we all have other plans.
I had no idea that the Machine Shop is open lost Saturday and that you guys are up there that place is pretty impressive with all that you have I would love to stop up sometime when you are there !!! I checked it out at the steam and gas show just walked thru and there was people everywhere doing the same thing as me I talked to one guy that was working on setting up the planner in there when I walked thru I wish I had more time to talk but it was hard with the kids and all . So another question is it like a club or machinist group you all have there with that shop ??

We're an all-volunteer group of hobbyists that just love old cast iron in our blood. None of us are machinist by trade. And the guy you talked to that was setting up the planer was Paulo. He was setting up a rough casting of a straightedge and starting the machine work to make it a precision piece of art.

Back