The Scourge of Amazon

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Love to hate or hate to love?

Yesterday my irrigation controller stopped working. After some troubleshooting I determined is was the 2 amp slo-blo glass fuse was bad but had no sign of damage. Under normal times this would be no big deal as I have a bin of assorted fuses I have collected over the years but it has been packed up and moved to our new place 400 miles away.

Most of my shop and misc. supplies was moved last year. I kept here the basic tools and supplies I "thought" I would need to get our current home ready to rent when we finally make the move. I can't count the number of times I have needed something I know I have or could have easily made if my shop and supplies was still here. It is really frustrating sometimes.

Not a single bigbox, hardware, automotive or electronics store within a 30 min drive had one. Not to mention the conversations I had trying to explain what a 30mm x 6mm glass fuse was. Before the likes of Amazon and other on-line retailers there would have been a dozen or more local stores where I could have found one.

My only option was to order online. I can get questionable off-brand import fuses "next day" but name brand quality fuses take up to a week! GRRRRRR!

Your story sounds familiar. I was trying to maintain 2 houses 250 miles apart. When I couldn't find something after searching one house, I would decide it must be at the other....until I got to that house a week later. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Your fuse problem started well before Amazon, when the big-box stores started displacing the well-stocked locals and franchises. Despite their size, the big-box chains only stock the stuff that moves, and only in season. One of the few well-stocked west coast chains, Orchard Supply, closed their doors in the last couple of years. We still have a couple of really good Ace Hardware stores where you can buy 1 unusual fastener if that's all you need. Living 40 miles from town, next day delivery is better than "local" availability.

When calling around looking for an item like your fuse, ask to speak to the oldest guy in the store.

This creeping phenomenon affects not only fuses. There was a time when if you bought (say) a chainsaw, or a mower, you got a manual with an exploded diagram at a scale where the parts were recognizable, and a parts list, and a place in every town where you could get a part. Now, you are unlikely to get the same design of oil filter between car services.

More and more, we have folk having to re-manufacture - or redesign and DIY, so as not to have to trash their back-hoe/ power bandsaw/whatever.

Your story sounds familiar. I was trying to maintain 2 houses 250 miles apart. When I couldn't find something after searching one house, I would decide it must be at the other....until I got to that house a week later. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Your fuse problem started well before Amazon, when the big-box stores started displacing the well-stocked locals and franchises. Despite their size, the big-box chains only stock the stuff that moves, and only in season. One of the few well-stocked west coast chains, Orchard Supply, closed their doors in the last couple of years. We still have a couple of really good Ace Hardware stores where you can buy 1 unusual fastener if that's all you need. Living 40 miles from town, next day delivery is better than "local" availability.

When calling around looking for an item like your fuse, ask to speak to the oldest guy in the store.
The old management from Orchard Supply went in with an investor and saved a few of their locations. Changed the name to “Outdoor Supply Hardware” and copied the old logo.

Lucky for me they’re just a few miles from my new home as the other shop is 2000 miles away. It has a local Gil-Roy’s hardware right at the end of the street.

The new “OSH” isn’t quite as well stocked as back in the day (there’s no lumber yard) but more often than not they do have what I need and closer the Home Despot.

John

I know OSH well. It was tough to see their decline over the years.

I have a renter in the new place. All my shop stuff is in storage in the workshop on the property. We are moving in September but I probably wont be unpacking the shop until this time next year. Gotta build an office and remodel the house first!

I know OSH well. It was tough to see their decline over the years.

I have a renter in the new place. All my shop stuff is in storage in the workshop on the property. We are moving in September but I probably wont be unpacking the shop until this time next year. Gotta build an office and remodel the house first!
You may have need of your shop, tools and supplies for the house project, making it important to unpack before then.

Just saying.

Darn, you should have asked me- I have tons of fuses and I'm in Mountain View
If you need to borrow a tool, give a shout
-Mark

Thanks Mark. I didn't think to ask on the forums. I know there are a few of us in this area.

What part of the city are you in?

Back