The Weather Man Was Wrong Again!

Our weather said this mornings low would be 29 degrees F. I turned off the water to the coolers and drained them yesterday. This mornings low was 51 degrees F.

I'm further south and lower elevation, we got hit by all that in liquid form. Quite unusual for the season. But at least our weatherman was right: rain for most of the day

Forecast was heavy rain followed by a couple inches of snow.

The view this morning from my front door.

View attachment 489065

I took the chains and plow off the truck a month ago, dammit!
Welcome to our world. The weatherman has about a -.025% accuracy rate around here. Just this week they've been predicting cool and rain 3 days in a row. So far, no rain, and temperatures in the mid 70's.

Things aren't much better in the winter months. A few years ago, they predicted "up to 4" of snow" one evening. It turned out to be a little over 16" before it stopped. A couple weeks later they predicted another 4". This time it was just over 20". That winter they predicted 4" on 6 different occasions. The smallest amount was 12" and the largest was 20+". Now every time we hear a prediction of 4" of snow, we cringe knowing how far off they can be.

In my area, we've had peculiar weather patterns such as no rain in the forecast and then rain. This has occurred more than the typical inaccuracies of weather forecasts. Last week I was talking to a coworker who told me about cloud seeding. I haven't researched it other than looking at the Santa Ana Watershed Project Authority's website. Looking at their calendar, it jives with our weather patterns. Are we playing God and how will Mother Nature respond? I'm going to look into it more closely. Have any of you heard about this, or know more about it?

In my area, we've had peculiar weather patterns such as no rain in the forecast and then rain. This has occurred more than the typical inaccuracies of weather forecasts. Last week I was talking to a coworker who told me about cloud seeding. I haven't researched it other than looking at the Santa Ana Watershed Project Authority's website. Looking at their calendar, it jives with our weather patterns. Are we playing God and how will Mother Nature respond? I'm going to look into it more closely. Have any of you heard about this, or know more about it?

Yes. The University of North Dakota was a pioneer in the development of the field. Since UND has a very well-known aviation training program, this fit in well with their aviation program.

They use silver oxide to seed the raindrop, theorizing that the water molecules will collect on the silver oxide, thus promoting further development of the raindrop. Like anything, if you get exposed to too much of anything it is bad for you, but I consider this to be about as harmful as the glasses on my nose. They have been doing this for many, many years. Maybe John (@pontiac428 ) will chime in with his thoughts.

Last year Utah's seeding program had a budget of I believe $350,000. This year they upped it to several million. If other states are doing and you are not, They will get your water, This is what's happening, It's a race to grab the water as it goes by your state.

Back