[How-To] The Whatever Project, is it appropriate for here?

Dave G in upstate New York

Registered
Registered
Here's the story: I came across this site while looking for parts and information regarding an Atlas bench lathe I purchased last summer, thinking that it was a 618 6 inch lathe. And I was happy with that, having had one in the late 70s. And it was a good deal, with lots of stuff included in the transaction. My nephew who lives in eastern Massachusetts, picked it up for me and stored it until the end of October. His wife was traveling, and the timing worked out rather nicely, and he stayed the weekend, helping to make the stand for it.

So needing some parts, I'm surfing the internet and stumbled upon this site, joined, and in less than 12 hours, learned that I had actually acquired an Atlas TH42 lathe. Good thing for serendipity, as now that I knew what it actually is, I was better equipped to purchase the bits and bobs that I needed, the last of which should be here Saturday or Monday. Then I can start to make scrap metal... err, that's parts for the Whatever project.

And now I know that everyone here is asking, what the .... is the Whatever project? And I have to say, yes! I'll show you what it is by a couple of pictures of it as it's currently standing.
20220716_225355.jpg20220716_225535.jpg
Never mind the paper hood, just needed to be able to visualize what it was going to look like eventually. I call it a cross between a track roadster of the late 40s, early 50s, and the the dirt modifieds I built and raced in the 70s.
IMG_20201013_0009_NEW.jpg
This is 1976's iteration, a Pinto bodied, tube chassis, powered by an injected methanol fueled small block Chevy. And here's a picture of the car that inspired me to use a model T Ford fiberglass replica body:
Spalding 101-1.jpg
This is the Spaulding Brothers' track roadster from around 1950.

When I started building this thing, however, I didn't actually have that first pair of pictures in my mind's eye. I had made the front suspension, axle, hairpins, and many of the smaller parts using the machinery in the shop at the lab Iworked in. And no, I am definitely not a machinist. I have 10 years experience as an industrial mechanic/millwright, before going to college, ending up with a couple of degrees in mechanical engineering. I can operate machinery in a very basic level, but will never, NEVER, call myself a machinist.

So that's all for now, I'll update as I attempt to continue making parts for the Whatever project, or the next project already percolating on the back burner, Sonny, Son of Whatever. Like I imagine all of the people on this site do, I collect stuff! There's machinery, automotive parts, tools of all vintages, and things that also scratches the steampunk itch.

Hello group, my name is Aaron and I'm a horsepower junkie. Mechanical fuel injection on alcohol? I have had several Hemis that ran Hillborns. The guys up at Kinsler are friends. Please tell me anything other then a SBC is going in it.
So the pinto body car..... asphalt? Like a USAC car?
I currently spend my days as the superintendent of production at a racing ( mostly circle track) suspension place.....need ideas?help? Hit me up

Aaron

Ps I can still smell the pungent aroma of alcohol & tire smoke.....great now in turned on...lol

Hello group, my name is Aaron and I'm a horsepower junkie. Mechanical fuel injection on alcohol? I have had several Hemis that ran Hillborns. The guys up at Kinsler are friends. Please tell me anything other then a SBC is going in it.
So the pinto body car..... asphalt? Like a USAC car?
I currently spend my days as the superintendent of production at a racing ( mostly circle track) suspension place.....need ideas?help? Hit me up

Aaron

Ps I can still smell the pungent aroma of alcohol & tire smoke.....great now in turned on...lol
Thanks Aaron. Dirt is where it's at! Here in the northeast dirt modifieds have ruled since after WW2. There were dirt tracks in every town and hamlet everywhere. I couldn't even begin to list all of them in the New England states, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. My home track was Lebanon Valley Speedway, and we also raced at Fonda, Devil's Bowl speedway, Middletown also known as the Orange County Fair speedway, and Accord.

But there's another part of the story, SCCA. My wifeand I got involved in it by becoming corner workers while living in Ohio. I was just out of college, we had just bought our first house, and it was a cheap way to get involved in racing in some manner that also got us the 2nd best seats in the house! But you all know how that goes. Next, some fellow corner workers and drivers decided to run a car in the Longest Day, a 24 hour showroom stock race at Nelson's Ledges. And I became their cheap mechanic. Hey I got a couple of Rubber Chicken Racing t-shirts every year for pay...

And then an Austin Mini followed me home. And I put a cage in it, then racing brakes, then... well you get the picture. It's successor is still in the building stage. I've got a lot of little things done, but I'm probably going to redo a lot of it. And then the Whatever project percolated to the top. And retirement came along, meaning that I lost access to the machine shop at the lab that a fellow engineer and I managed to equip. We were government employees, doing research, and I like making my own test equipment. So I needed a good shop, and a couple of technicians with shop experience to be able to make the stuff we dreamt up.

So having to make stuff on my own, I started looking for a few items, and the lathe is the latest addition to the collection. Well, there's an English Wheel I got from Jeg's. Just made a base for it.
20240316_162531.jpgDSCN1906.JPG
I'm not too good at sheetmetal yet. But I figure what the heck, this was a good deal, as it included the lower anvils, and my nephew will probably end up with it down the road, so we're going to learn how to use it on his project... well what can I say?

So eventually I'd like to get a milling machine. I just hope that I've got enough years left in me to use up all of the vintage race car parts I've been dragging around the country with me for the last 40 odd years.

Wow where to begin..... dirt? Really?? I grew up in small town in Ohio (Wapakoneta) where redneck hillbilly dirt ruled, you know the kind.... they said things like "you can't run your car on beer", no you moron my car ran runs methanol alcohol, not beer! Or you can go fast with a Hemi, my 305 will out run that thing, the list goes on.
I like SCCA and road racing in general. I have run my bike at mid Ohio several times....what a hoot
Jegs....we sell to them.....good luck with your English wheel....you need bags & hammers , a plenishing hammer.........please keep us posted as to progress!!

Here a picture oh our house car (the bosses car) running at the Milwaukee Milerace car.jpg

I started collecting basic sheetmetal tools way back in the modifieds days. I've still got the 1st body hammer, albeit with about the 5th handle, that was sold by the Bondo brand! I know, right! Body filler company selling a body hammer. Expanded over the years, now there's a drawer with hammers and dollies, snips, some other home made things. And even though I'm semi-computer illiterate (I know, engineer for going on 40 years and not liking computers), I have been perusing videos on the internet on all subjects metalworking. And then go to the garage and mess with some scraps of sheetmetal.

And I have a friend in North Carolina who's sending me a set of lever shocks from an MGB that I might use on the front suspension. Kind of a retro style. And now you can see the reasoning behind the name the Whatever project.

Wow where to begin..... dirt? Really?? I grew up in small town in Ohio (Wapakoneta) where redneck hillbilly dirt ruled, you know the kind.... they said things like "you can't run your car on beer", no you moron my car ran runs methanol alcohol, not beer! Or you can go fast with a Hemi, my 305 will out run that thing, the list goes on.
I like SCCA and road racing in general. I have run my bike at mid Ohio several times....what a hoot
Jegs....we sell to them.....good luck with your English wheel....you need bags & hammers , a plenishing hammer.........please keep us posted as to progress!!

Here a picture oh our house car (the bosses car) running at the Milwaukee MileView attachment 483063
Tell me more! I'm not up on asphalt racing these days. What sanction is this? Engine type and any restrictions/spec rules?

Also, you mentioned that the firm you work for manufactures racing components. Who and what, if it's allowed to mention? I'm always looking for new ideas and suppliers to satiate the need...

And not knowing what that car is, I'd like to see it race! I'm assuming short tracks, definitely left turn only by the nose!

My employer is UB Machine (I'm certain you can ad .com to that and find us) , many innovations in racing has come out of our shop.
We raced ASA for years, every race was a multitude of hassles, because we came up with a better package, a full on barrage of tear down the engine, check the car before the race & after with the templates (like we can change the body on the back straight under power), pull the body to look at the frame & cage...we won a lot! Finally our registration was not renewed by the governing body ( see booted out)
Went to the CRA series, first race 302CID & only 450HP (vs the allowable 352CID & 650 HP) and set fast lap , the game was afoot.....business as usual, tear down the engine, template the body, ect.....difference is/was this race governing body, understands technical advantage and said, it's legal if we offer it for sale. No problem!
Yes mostly short tracks , but the bigger grand national tracks are no problem
I have limited knowledge of the racing, I'm the head of production, just a machinist....my big thing is I'm a high power rifle competitor! This Camp Perry Ohio, shooting a 600 yard mid range FB_IMG_1690883220280.jpgFB_IMG_1690883226394.jpgFB_IMG_1690883271281.jpg

My employer is UB Machine (I'm certain you can ad .com to that and find us) , many innovations in racing has come out of our shop.
We raced ASA for years, every race was a multitude of hassles, because we came up with a better package, a full on barrage of tear down the engine, check the car before the race & after with the templates (like we can change the body on the back straight under power), pull the body to look at the frame & cage...we won a lot! Finally our registration was not renewed by the governing body ( see booted out)
Went to the CRA series, first race 302CID & only 450HP (vs the allowable 352CID & 650 HP) and set fast lap , the game was afoot.....business as usual, tear down the engine, template the body, ect.....difference is/was this race governing body, understands technical advantage and said, it's legal if we offer it for sale. No problem!
Yes mostly short tracks , but the bigger grand national tracks are no problem
I have limited knowledge of the racing, I'm the head of production, just a machinist....my big thing is I'm a high power rifle competitor! This Camp Perry Ohio, shooting a 600 yard mid range View attachment 483539View attachment 483540View attachment 483541
Last time I was out busting paper, it was only 50 yards, a 10-22 Ruger, and a box of lr. But it was still fun!

Well, got the lathe running today. Now I can get back to the Whatever project and making some parts for it. Tie rod, drag link, some threaded bosses for suspension mounting points, shock links...And I haven't done threading on a lathe for almost 45 years, so needing left hand threads, I looked here and found a couple of threads telling the how. I forgot all about the 29.5 degrees and having the correct geometry on the tooling. I've got a lot of reading to do, and then some practice parts on scrap metal before I try the good parts...

So much time, so little work. No, wait, reverse those words!

Back