Themac Tool post grinder

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi All
I picked up a Themac J 40 with a 445 spindle years ago and now I want to use it to grind the chuck jaws to help with run out. So I pulled it out started to look it over and the spindle needs oil. What type of oil and how much is needed? I would hate to fry the bearings in the spindle. I picked it up for 125 USD but I bet it will cost a lot more to fix it if they get ruined. Any help you can give is appreciated. I looked for a user manual ob line but so far no luck.
Thanks
CH

Please let us know how well this works for the chuck grinding.

Rick

Hi All
I picked up a Themac J 40 with a 445 spindle years ago and now I want to use it to grind the chuck jaws to help with run out. So I pulled it out started to look it over and the spindle needs oil. What type of oil and how much is needed? I would hate to fry the bearings in the spindle. I picked it up for 125 USD but I bet it will cost a lot more to fix it if they get ruined. Any help you can give is appreciated. I looked for a user manual ob line but so far no luck.
Thanks
CH
Ray swears by automatic transmission fluid in his because it's pretty resistant to thermal breakdown and its light and it doesn't foam up. A light spindle oil would probably do the trick too, but it's harder to find.

Ray swears by automatic transmission fluid in his because it's pretty resistant to thermal breakdown and its light and it doesn't foam up. A light spindle oil would probably do the trick too, but it's harder to find.
Hi
I did call Themac and finaly got a guy that helped some. He said use a light spindle oil well that is not an option here in eastern Colorado. I called every possible place to find it that may have it and could not find anyone. So I have to order online and pay through the nose for shipping + the oil and get it next month or use something else. ATF I can do. I also thought of maybe using Hydraulic oil? I don't think it foams either.
Thanks all for you in put.
CH

ATF will work. Don't use the old type F though, I think that will be hard on the bearings.

Dave

Dexron 5 or the import car ATF should work fine.

Look for a local machine shop close by. And talk to them see if thay will sele you a pint. You could be suprized you might get some nice drops out of them as well.

Back