They're Here (lathe & Mill)!

This is from the guy who even owns a 7ft planner circa 1890 - 1910.

Congrats on the chip makers. I really wish I would have gotten the 602 over my shop fox 1016.

Question...how the flip did you get your mill off the pallet? I have an 45 clone in the middle of my garage still sitting on the pallet because the pallet won't fit between the legs of my hoist.

you have passed the point that you are definiatly sliding down the slippery slope! enjoy the ride. nice machines keep us posted on them.

Congratulations on the new machines, and welcome to the ranks of the terminal accumulators of tooling and hardware. Enjoy, Mike

'Question...how the flip did you get your mill off the pallet? I have an 45 clone in the middle of my garage still sitting on the pallet because the pallet won't fit between the legs of my hoist."

Can you cut away part of the pallet, or slide it off onto rollers (pipe,etc)? Pics would help.

'Question...how the flip did you get your mill off the pallet? I have an 45 clone in the middle of my garage still sitting on the pallet because the pallet won't fit between the legs of my hoist."

Can you cut away part of the pallet, or slide it off onto rollers (pipe,etc)? Pics would help.
My mill was attached to a board (bottom of crate).
We slid it off the pallet onto 3 small Harbor Freight dollies. . Then it was easy to roll around and get under hoist.

PM25.jpe

Hope that helped!
Regis

PM25.jpe

PM25.jpe

PM25.jpe

PM25.jpe

PM25.jpe

Well, unfortunately I can't push it off because it's heavy and I'm all by myself. I think that cutting away the pallet is my only option, I'm just scared it will tip over when I do. I had the same problem with my lathe, but don't remember how I solved it.

IMAG0284.jpg

Well, unfortunately I can't push it off because it's heavy and I'm all by myself. I think that cutting away the pallet is my only option, I'm just scared it will tip over when I do. I had the same problem with my lathe, but don't remember how I solved it.

View attachment 127254

Consider, hooking hoist under mill head and take up a little of the weight as you nudge it to dolly. That would only work if mill is bolted to the board (bottom of crate).
That should give you a degree of safety.

My thought?
Regis

From what I see the primary issue is the way the mill was attached to the pallet, on the diagonal. If you cut the pallet make sure it does not tip over in the process.

1) What if you attached two 2X6's on edge to the bottom of the roof rafters, then supported both ends of the 2X6's with 4X4's down to the floor. You could then use a come-a-long or a chain fall to raise the mill and remove the pallet. I'd then use the dollies to move it close to the final location and then use the engine hoist to lift it on top of the base.

I'd keep the 2X6's as short as possible, 4ft should be long enough and certainly not over 8ft.

2) Another alternative would be to build a pipe teepee over the mill using it to raise the machine. I'd go with at least 1 1/2" iron pipe preferably 2" and run chain at the bottom to prevent the legs from moving apart while lifting. Weld chain hooks near the bottom of the pipes for a place to attach the chain.

3) Another thought. Can you remove the bolts then turn the mill so it is fairly parallel to the sides of the pallet, then crab it over to the side of the pallet with a large pinch/crow bar? You should be able to lift it with the engine hoist, or continue moving it onto your furniture movers.

One more thing. Do you have webbing for lifting to avoid damaging the paint or even more importantly any of the machined surfaces? Much better than chain, even wrapped in cloth.

Last edited by a moderator:
One option I had with my mill is using a come along and the rafters in your shop. If your rafters or joists are exposed you can span them perpendicularly with a long pipe and hook up a chain and a hoist to lift the mill to the desired height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back