Thinking About A Small Welding Machine

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
I have to agree. You'll be more satisfied with an older well built machine.

A lot of the import machines have aluminum windings instead of copper. Old quality will outlast new junque.

Not to muddy the waters, but have you considered MIG or wire-feed? I do virtually all of my welding with a Hobart MIG set up to run flux-core. Turn on the welding booth lights and fan, set the welder and turn it on, weld and shut down. No gas to adjust (and yes, it is set up with gas connected) and drain. Finish is a bit more cleanup, but still very good.

Unless you intend to weld 3/4" plate on a regular basis, you don't need a stick machine. Normal hobby fabrication duty will be best served with a wire-feed (MIG). You can set things low enough to weld sheet metal in many cases. You can switch things up enough, and simply enough, to weld stainless and aluminum. I highly recommend that you consider that over a buzzbox.

I totally agree with Mark. An auto-darkening helmet is the best accessory you can have as a welder. They respond to flickering infared, not bright light, so fluorescent bulbs or tubes in your welding area are a must. Incandescents will keep your helmet dark all the time.

The welding suppliers here regularly have classes sponsored by Miller and Lincoln. Naturally, they are showing off their newest model machines. After you select and purchase your machine, you will naturally need to buy supplies for it, so try to develop a relationship with the local supplier, and ask about seminars and classes. Often there is no cost to attend, at times there is a nominal charge for materials, and that is only reasonable. You will meet other welders, and perhaps find someone interested in schooling you a bit just because.

Another one for a MIG welder....if your not too great with a buzzbox....TIG could get tricky.....with TIG you have a torch in one hand, a metal rod in the other and your foot determines the heat.....unless you spend even more $ and get a thumb dial on the torch. The best (sweetest) benefit to TIG is if you get a machine capable of pulsing...you can lay down perfect nickles.

I'd agree with most here, Although I have to say I recently bought a "flux core 125" MIG from Northern because I don't have a convenient 220 outlet for the stick welder I have...With coupon I paid $109 for it and I've got to say it welds beautifully and I love it! I burned through a whole spool of wire when I first got it just because....

One thing to definitely think about if you're not going to be welding all the time is that with a stick welder without proper storage the rods go bad pretty quick in my opinion(humidity) and just don't seem to weld as good as "fresh" ones. Once you've used a wire feed swapping in a new rod every few inches will seem like a pain. The new auto darkening helmets are a no-turning back point for me as well! Todd

I agree with most here that a MIG is the best bet for the home shop. I've had one for years but I find that in restoring old machines there is an occasional need to be able to weld cast iron. For that I picked up a used Miller AC/DC stick box on CL for $80.00. Something to consider if you want a stick welder, get a AC/DC machine.
Doug

Just to add to my previous post, I have welded cast iron with my MIG but didn't like the results and the weld was so hard that I ruined an end mill trying to machine it. Don't recommend trying that.
Doug

If i were going to purchase a welder right now for my home shop, i would buy a Thermal Arc 181i mig/dctig/stick..

Back