Thinking about getting the PM BS-0 dividing head

Yes, pretty much, it will do most anything within its range except prime numbers, only question is, is the worm able to be disengaged for direct indexing (using the dividing plate behind the chuck) The term "semi universal" connotates that, but it is not stated in the text.

A universal dividing head has the drive train, and gears to allow it to be driven by the table, allowing one to make spirals.

10-1-2-inch-universal-dividing-head-set-9.jpg

A semi universal dividing head does everything else but the ability to synchronize the rotation with the table.

ade87dbd-5964-4a79-99aa-39880879754d.f776de583e8b8ce5585b12279d10ced2.jpeg

Assuming they are following normally accepted machinist conventions. :rolleyes:

In theory, either one should have the ability to disengage the worm gear, to allow the direct indexing feature.

That's the larger version, but it might be useful information if you haven't seen it. I haven't used either, but they look nice.

I am quite well aware of all that, but that does not answer my question about this particular unit; terms like "semi universal" are easily bandied about, but are not always clearly defined; a dividing head without the ability to disengage the worm is a PITA when using it in the direct indexing mode. I have seen many dividing heads with direct indexing but no provision for disengaging the worm. Mine is a B&S (mfg) Universal, and has this ability plus a fine adjust feature on the sector arm for fine alignment. I have always been impressed with Brown & Sharpe machinery and tools, and had a #2 universal horizontal mill dating to about 1906, it was an all geared drive with speeds and feeds in geometric progression, I finally found a more modern model of 1943 vintage at an auction of our now defunct Navy Yard, did some fixing up and repairs on it, found the dividing head, short lead and feed attachment, a shaping/slotting head and partial rack milling setup, which I have used to graduate several blacksmith's rules more quickly and more easily than by using the dividing head geared to the table screw.

@Pcmaker here is a video with more detail on the actual dividing head. The one ttabbal put in above was just a fun unboxing but did not show any detail of the unit. Mine is the PM BS-1 so a little larger but identical design as far as I know. In this video I pull it apart and go through the whole unit. There is also a part 2 showing it in operation.

The worm gear does not disengage for direct indexing, you still have to turn the crank between holes on the Direct indexing plate. Happy to answer any other questions you have about it.

I have about the least expensive BS-0 import I could find on eBay ($271 at the time) and it allows one to disengage the worm. That cam (sets worm engagement) is behind the indexing plate, but you don’t need the side plate for direct indexing with the spindle pin. Still, for the 1/24 rotation (15°) increments, it works fine.

I have three different, but same versions of these BS-0 dividing heads (Enco, Grizzley, and generic). They all have the ability to disengage the worm gear. Here is a page from Grizzleys manual, that shows how.

Screenshot 2021-05-01 222417.jpg

@Pcmaker here is a video with more detail on the actual dividing head. The one ttabbal put in above was just a fun unboxing but did not show any detail of the unit. Mine is the PM BS-1 so a little larger but identical design as far as I know. In this video I pull it apart and go through the whole unit. There is also a part 2 showing it in operation.

The worm gear does not disengage for direct indexing, you still have to turn the crank between holes on the Direct indexing plate. Happy to answer any other questions you have about it.

Yours looks to have the cam for the worm gear, to adjust, and disengage.

Screenshot 2021-05-01 222731.jpg

Good video, I have never opened up any of mine, maybe now I will, just to check them out, and see if there is any difference.

I have had a BS-0 for a few years now and it works fine. You can disengage the worm on mine, but I never do. I simply turn the handle until the direct dividing pin drops in... works easy pezy! Do it all the time.

Ted

I have three different, but same versions of these BS-0 dividing heads (Enco, Grizzley, and generic). They all have the ability to disengage the worm gear. Here is a page from Grizzleys manual, that shows how.

View attachment 364548

Yours looks to have the cam for the worm gear, to adjust, and disengage.

View attachment 364549

Good video, I have never opened up any of mine, maybe now I will, just to check them out, and see if there is any difference.
Yes, mine has that feature. Since that is essentially the same as pulling out the worm gear I don’t consider that a quick disengage option like some higher end units have. On these units disengaging like that would require setting up the backlash again so not worth it IMO.

Back