Thinking of selling

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My little Hardinge BB4

HardingeBB4.jpg

I have the opportunity to pick up an RF30 but would need the space and could use the money to help pay and justify making the change. This thing is pretty cool but I think I'd get more use from a vertical. I've added an arbor and cutter since buying, it's pretty complete and unmolested so I'm gonna do that thing here and ask how much folks think it's worth.

My other thread with more pictures:

John

I have a little Sheldon about this size. It has an overhead support arm that just seems necessary. I paid around $500 but it was a package deal and we didn’t break down prices individually.

I have not really used it much, and probably most jobs could have been done on the Bridgeport, but it is so dang cute I would never let it go. Probably. :)

Yep, I should probably keep it for cutting small gears and such. Just wondering if there was interest, definitely be more than $500....

John

From what I've seen except for the Atlas mills, horizontal mills just don't seem to go for much money. The Hardinge name is in your favor, but if you got $1000 for it I'd be surprised.

I have a small horizontal mill about 2x the size of that one. I bought it about 3 years ago paid $700. It was in amazing shape and I had to buy 3 medium size totes to bring the tooling it came with home. It had been on CL for a week or two when I gave in, so can't just put it down as a lucky first caller.

For many of the things a horizontal mill does well, I'd think a little one like that could prove handy, mainly keyways, slots and gear cutting. Surely you have a corner it could hide in out of the way when not needed.

Definitely leaning towards keeping it, just got the go ahead from the wife for the new purchase if it comes through and figured out how to shoehorn everything into the shop at least until I can get rid of something less dear.

Say @Aaron_W you have an RF30 don't you? Any tips on how to strap one up for lifting with an engine hoist? Do I just go around the head and hoist away? Kinda worried about bending the shroud and removing it looks like a PITA.

John

Definitely leaning towards keeping it, just got the go ahead from the wife for the new purchase if it comes through and figured out how to shoehorn everything into the shop at least until I can get rid of something less dear.

Say @Aaron_W you have an RF30 don't you? Any tips on how to strap one up for lifting with an engine hoist? Do I just go around the head and hoist away? Kinda worried about bending the shroud and removing it looks like a PITA.

John

No I have a Clausing 8520. I took mine apart, so except for the column / knee nothing weighed more than about 100lbs. I think David R8 has an RF30 or 31.

Thanks, I'll ask in the general section.

John

Coming up for sale soon....

Well, poop! If you were anything close to local I'd encourage you to sell that - to me! What a beautiful little machine!

GsT

Well, poop! If you were anything close to local I'd encourage you to sell that - to me! What a beautiful little machine!

GsT
I used to drive between here and Mesa pretty regular, it's not that far. If you're interested PM me and we can exchange numbers to see if the details can be worked out.

John

Back