Thinking of selling

Definitely leaning towards keeping it, just got the go ahead from the wife for the new purchase if it comes through and figured out how to shoehorn everything into the shop at least until I can get rid of something less dear.

Say @Aaron_W you have an RF30 don't you? Any tips on how to strap one up for lifting with an engine hoist? Do I just go around the head and hoist away? Kinda worried about bending the shroud and removing it looks like a PITA.

John
Hey John, I kept the full belt shroud on my RF clone when I moved it. It was never damaged and I moved it with my hoist probably five times around my shop.
I lowered the head to the table level and balanced it fore and aft by moving the Y axis.

Same here, but after moving it a couple times with lifting sling squeezing the plastic belt guard, I got wise and started using a spreader bar with the sling. The RF has some respectable heft, but it's totally manageable with one man and an engine hoist.

Yep, engine hoist and straps around the shroud. Did just fine moving it in and should be fine moving it out.

I removed the pulleys, shroud and other bits when I lifted mine.
only takes 30 minutes but I had it apart before.
58F2CEEB-3742-459E-9B8A-9437B64470B0.jpeg

Yep, strapped right around the shroud with no spreader, no problem. Steel shroud though — don't later ones have a plastic shroud? I imagine that'd be a lot less happy about the strap squeezing.
Enco mill.jpg

Well, this is after I lowered it, strap is loose. but it hung pretty level like this.
The extra wrap of the strap around the shroud it just to use up excess length of the strap. Lifting sling? Whatever the yellow webbing thing is called.

Later I completely disassembled it, because (1) it needed it, and (2) I needed to hand-carry it down the stairs to the basement. Each part was do-able for one person, except the base which was the heaviest. That one casting, I lowered it on a wheeled dolly down ramps. If I'd had a helper, it would have been easy enough for four hands.

Mark in Seattle

Back