Thinking on buying a PM 1340GT

I guess I am the lucky one with my 1340. No paint issues, easily aligned the headstock to less than .0003, runs smooth an quiet with the vfd three phase and Dr Mark’s controls. I can dial in a barrel to zero runout with the 4-jaw and my first chambering job for a foreforming barrel in a 1000 yd BR rifle yeilded a chamber virtually identical to the one my competition gunsmith friend built. All that and I am new to machining, but not shooting or gunsmithing. That said, a heavier lathe is always better if you have the funds and space for it.

Just to add another view, i have been looking at the PM1440HD for a couple of years and waiting for the Canadian dollar to get stronger. I ran out of patience recently and decided to bite the bullet and buy a machine from Modern Tool, a very reputable machinery distributor in Canada. It is very similar looking to the PM1440HD, the model number is GH1440W. Jet also sells this machine with the same model number.

I bought my original lathe from Modern Tool back in '83 - an Enterprise 1550. It has been a good machine for me (still the most used machine in the shop). I'd say you made a good choice - buy as good & big a machine as you can afford and it will be a keeper for a long time.

The 15x54 Leblond arrived yesterday and is now firmly ensconced in my shop. Will power it up today.

I'm going to move to the Leblond forum. Those who are interested can see pictures there soon.

Thanks for all the great information.

Pictures now up on the LeBlond forum for anyone interested.

Back