Thinking on buying a PM 1340GT

Here is the machine delivered and setup, now its an Eisen! The cost difference was the driver, and the fact that it was setup and running in my shop 3 days after I first saw and trialed it.

They included setup and delivery as I had mentioned for no extra charge. As far as I can tell, there is no difference between the machines (Clark, Eisen, PM 1440 HD) other than the somewhat better DRO on the PM.

I ordered a 5C collet chuck, a 6 jaw, and a quick change post and I am making chips. Regardless of the badge on the machine, for my use anyway, this is the best bang for the buck in the 1440 lathes.

Just to add another view, i have been looking at the PM1440HD for a couple of years and waiting for the Canadian dollar to get stronger. I ran out of patience recently and decided to bite the bullet and buy a machine from Modern Tool, a very reputable machinery distributor in Canada. It is very similar looking to the PM1440HD, the model number is GH1440W. Jet also sells this machine with the same model number. I was able to run the machine at Modern's showroom and compare is to to their C0636 which appears to be very similar to the PM1440LB. The C0636 has a 2" spindle bore and D1-5 spindle and the GW1440 has 1-9/16" and D1-4 but the GH is about 1000 pounds heavier and has a higher quality look and feel. Comparing prices to the PM1440HD, after converting US dollars to Canadian and adding shipping, the GH actually wound up being a few hundred dollar less and Modern will deliver it to my shop. It comes standard with DRO and taper attachment. Here pics of the GH1440W and the C0636.

I purchased a milling machine from Matt a few years ago when our dollar was stronger and was very pleased with the level of service I received but in this economy it was cheaper and easier to buy locally. I will be taking delivery in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the good info.

After careful consideration I decided to go with American iron and purchased the LeBlond for a lot less than the 11k asking price. What I got is essentially a new machine. The ways and slides have all been ground and scraped. There is next to no backlash in any of the controls. I took off the headstock cover and inspected the gears. They were absolutely pristine, the oil was clear as gin and I could see no detritus in the bottom of the box. I ran it and it seemed quite and solid.

The owner said the lathe had not been used since the rebuild. I tend to believe him because I saw no sign of chips or swarf anywhere on or even near the machine.

My research indicates that Leblond lathes enjoy a fine reputation and parts are available.

Did he give a reason why he never used it after having it rebuilt?

Just to add another view, i have been looking at the PM1440HD for a couple of years and waiting for the Canadian dollar to get stronger. I ran out of patience recently and decided to bite the bullet and buy a machine from Modern Tool, a very reputable machinery distributor in Canada. It is very similar looking to the PM1440HD, the model number is GH1440W. Jet also sells this machine with the same model number. I was able to run the machine at Modern's showroom and compare is to to their C0636 which appears to be very similar to the PM1440LB. The C0636 has a 2" spindle bore and D1-5 spindle and the GW1440 has 1-9/16" and D1-4 but the GH is about 1000 pounds heavier and has a higher quality look and feel. Comparing prices to the PM1440HD, after converting US dollars to Canadian and adding shipping, the GH actually wound up being a few hundred dollar less and Modern will deliver it to my shop. It comes standard with DRO and taper attachment. Here pics of the GH1440W and the C0636.

View attachment 287918View attachment 287919
I purchased a milling machine from Matt a few years ago when our dollar was stronger and was very pleased with the level of service I received but in this economy it was cheaper and easier to buy locally. I will be taking delivery in a couple of weeks.

Can I ask what you paid for that? In Canadian $$

Thanks for all the good info.

After careful consideration I decided to go with American iron and purchased the LeBlond for a lot less than the 11k asking price. What I got is essentially a new machine. The ways and slides have all been ground and scraped. There is next to no backlash in any of the controls. I took off the headstock cover and inspected the gears. They were absolutely pristine, the oil was clear as gin and I could see no detritus in the bottom of the box. I ran it and it seemed quite and solid.

The owner said the lathe had not been used since the rebuild. I tend to believe him because I saw no sign of chips or swarf anywhere on or even near the machine.

My research indicates that Leblond lathes enjoy a fine reputation and parts are available.
I would enjoy seeing pictures of your
LeBlond Matt.

I think the CL posting is on here somewhere. When the lathe is delivered sometime next week I'll post pictures. I'm having a friend who has an auto towing company deliver it. He has delivered many machines for me in the past.

Tomorrow I'll start re-arranging the shop to accommodate it. It will require about three more longitudinal feet than the Clausing but will be in the same space. Like the Clausing it will face the Monarch.

What's the exchange rate now? Havevn't been to Canada in years.

Back