This is pretty good

GK1918

Active User
Registered
I made a couple sets of 1-2-3- blocks on my lathe, then onto the shaper for a very close finale size. Looks very good
and sat there giving thoughts of being a little better. Another of my- what ifs? I faced off about an inch round and
camf. it. Its flat and smooth. I welded stock to fit the shaper holder and installed it. The hard part is to tram this
i havent named it yet, to the ram so the work is perfectly flat with the work. I adjusted my ram so it does not come
off the work maybe, a little off the work . With feed on with not too much pressure, a little valve grinding compound,
I have to get the feel for just enough. That was a big wow. I go to finer compound amazing. I suppose you can even
go to toothpaste. I did two and the test was amazing that my two stick together just like a magnet. They
really look like a mirror. Again I had a hard look at this and today I will do a redesign. This time Ill take a ball end
to this on the lathe and put a ball (end) on the tool holder it will follow the work and dont have to tram it. Just another
attachment for the draw. sam a fine precision surface grinder with no dust

Kinda hard to get the picture from the description without a picture. :rolleyes: Any chance you can post a visual for us? Sounds to me like you've made some kind of lapping tool for the shaper. You've got my interest.

Mike

Hi Mike I made quick scetch hope it works. It is 1/2 round stock from junk pile you have to wisk off a little so it fits your
tool holder. Yesterday I made another, this has ball ends rather than welded, much better I dont have to tram it.
However the clapper has to be locked. After awhile with course compound the work and tool will come into perspective.
Then I went to med then fine then to 3M auto compound. I am impressed. Granted not needed all the time, but Its one
more acc. I got. Ya know a shaper is a true transformer that can do things not written in manuals. It is the operators
imagination. For example I am finishing my shop made beed roller a big one and I need a washer with three round slots.
Anybodys first though is to drill maybe hacksaw then file it. Bingo so I stuck a rat tail file in the shaper- done- imagination.
Ever try sticking a HSS twist drill in it, try it, sharpen a file for a parting tool great for hogging out making doves.
Again in closing when close and there the tool and the work will stick together like magnet thats a perfect surface like those
sine bar stack disks

2-19-2012 9;08;37 AM.jpg

Thanks for the details, GK. Great idea.

a better veiw

Seems every day a new problem crops up, now this junk is refusing to recognize my
camara. Took a few pics of the steps but they wont load out of 5 only one works.
I think this is the first test using coarse compound. This is no. 2 with a ball end
that works better than the first welded one.

Untitled.jpg

Looking good
Nice looking shaper you have.
i think you should post more pics ;)

Paul

Very GOOD!!

Now that is really keen. Thanks for the info, going to make one. I need to learn how to post pics here, I'm sort of computer ignorant. Trying to get my lathe and shaper cleaned and painted so they look like they should.

Yes

Hi 1200 A dremel ! I never had one but I think I need one now thanks to you. Shapers have xyz feeds so that means
Mini Mill I told you its a transformer . I found a side veiw of this orig stand but on casters I dont remember if I
posted pic or not. forgot to write myself a note. sam

7B.jpg

Back