This Milling Cutter is Da Bomb!

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
After being unhappy with a 2 in. cutter head that uses the APMT inserts, I bought one of these on a recommendation from another member (who I would like to thank if I could remember his name).

I've been using it for roughing down some prehardened 4140 and I'm truly impressed with the cutter AND the inserts. At 660 rpm and up to .060 DOC it is amazingly smooth and quiet. Above .060 DOC it begins to chatter some, most likely due to rigidity issues with the mill. I'm still running the first set of edges on the inserts and the edge and coating still look fine. It doesn't leave quite as good a finish as I want, so I do the finish pass with a small inserted fly-cutter. Three thumbs up!

I second this recommendation...I have one, also can't remember why exactly. For the price, it's amazing. It gives a great finish on aluminum, and while I have some others I like for steel, this is very acceptable.

Never ordered from Ali express. Are they just like bang good?

I'm with winegrower, I've been extolling the virtues of these facemills for a while. I don't have the rigidity to use the molded inserts in steel as they chatter too much, but the ground ones for alu work fantastic. Beautiful finish and last forever in alu and a reasonable time in steel. If you're a tightwad like me you can even resharpen the inserts with a Dremel and a diamond dish a few times before the geometry goes out of whack

I've never ordered from Bangood- are they like Aliexpress? LOL had good luck with Ali- easy to navigate site
Only had one problem out of dozens of orders: ordered two 1$ items and only got one- I just let it go- not worth fussing over

Mr, What type of shank did you use? How does it attach to the head? Thanks for yopur time.

Joe

Aliexpress feels a little like the Amazon Marketplace of China. I think Banggood is a single company, but who knows for sure? :)

I will say I've gotten the stuff I've ordered from both, and while quality can vary, it's generally been good.

I did a post on the SEHT/SEKT insert face mills a while back. They have been a game changer for me. My mill isn't very beefy and these inserts are really amazing in the face mills I have.

I've never ordered from Bangood- are they like Aliexpress? LOL had good luck with Ali- easy to navigate site
Only had one problem out of dozens of orders: ordered two 1$ items and only got one- I just let it go- not worth fussing over
All of the stepper motors, ball screws, linear rails a bunch of other stuff for my CNC router came from Aliexpress. No issues and decent quality except for the limit switches.

After being unhappy with a 2 in. cutter head that uses the APMT inserts, I bought one of these on a recommendation from another member (who I would like to thank if I could remember his name).

I've been using it for roughing down some prehardened 4140 and I'm truly impressed with the cutter AND the inserts. At 660 rpm and up to .060 DOC it is amazingly smooth and quiet. Above .060 DOC it begins to chatter some, most likely due to rigidity issues with the mill. I'm still running the first set of edges on the inserts and the edge and coating still look fine. It doesn't leave quite as good a finish as I want, so I do the finish pass with a small inserted fly-cutter. Three thumbs up!
What arbor does this use?

Back