This video really sheds a new light on what it will take to switch to electric vehicles

I'm pretty sure that long distance trucking will have to remain fossil fueled for a while yet. And large aircraft also.
We would need another quantum leap in battery tech

One solution to part of the trucking problem would be a system of electric cargo trains crisscrossing the country

My wife works driving a fuel transport for a local petroleum company and they don't seem to be too worried about it. They keep expanding buying up gas stations.

I don't think they would do that if by 2035 all gas powered cars will stop being sold.
1000020532.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that long distance trucking will have to remain fossil fueled for a while yet. And large aircraft also.
We would need another quantum leap in battery tech

One solution to part of the trucking problem would be a system of electric cargo trains crisscrossing the country
um, diesel trains are electric.
They are motors turning big generators, that provide power to the traction wheels. It's not a mechanical drive, it's an electric drive.

um, diesel trains are electric.
They are motors turning big generators, that provide power to the traction wheels. It's not a mechanical drive, it's an electric drive.
Yes are right. My wife will take her transport to the rail yard (the one in my post) filled with diesel and fuel up 3 engines. Then another transport pulls in behind her and finished up the job.

There are potential battery innovations in development process right now. Some are super fast charging that, if they come to fruition, will enable one of the largest drawbacks to be overcome. That is the speed of "fueling". Batteries are said to be able to charge in as little as 10 minutes. It takes around 5 minutes at a pump now so that's probably close enough for many people to stop worrying about the cross distance travel "hassle" with current electric cars.
I imagine that semi trucks would have similar advances.

This is another angle on an old idea that can be summed up as “it’s impossible.”

Something tells me he’s not in the battery making business. Something about the setting tells me he’s not in the “innovation” industry. He’s just an appropriately credentialed professional whose viewpoint supports a narrative. Not unlike a Phillip Morris research scientist, in his usefulness.

I’m no expert. But I stand firmly in the camp of “nearly anything is possible.”

There was a time when humans couldn’t imagine a “flying machine”. Now we joke about Boeings doors falling off as if the manufacture of an aircraft capable of carrying 200 people across the ocean is as simple as planting a radish.

It will never be the guy saying it’s impossible who figures it out.

The guy figuring it out has better things to do than sit around listing all the reasons it’ll never be possible.

This is another angle on an old idea that can be summed up as “it’s impossible.”

Something tells me he’s not in the battery making business. Something about the setting tells me he’s not in the “innovation” industry. He’s just an appropriately credentialed professional whose viewpoint supports a narrative. Not unlike a Phillip Morris research scientist, in his usefulness.

I’m no expert. But I stand firmly in the camp of “nearly anything is possible.”

There was a time when humans couldn’t imagine a “flying machine”. Now we joke about Boeings doors falling off as if the manufacture of an aircraft capable of carrying 200 people across the ocean is as simple as planting a radish.

It will never be the guy saying it’s impossible who figures it out.

The guy figuring it out has better things to do than sit around listing all the reasons it’ll never be possible.

That's not what I got from that video...

Assuming that his figures are correct... I don't know whether they are or not... what he is saying is that it's not possible... or not feasible... with the current technology.

Assuming his information is correct, I would have to agree... it's not feasible without a 'breakthrough' battery design...

What bothers me most about the entire EV concept is that we are planning to pile so much demand on a system that can't adequately generate the electricity that is needed now... much less after EVs are mandated nationwide, added to the massive amounts of electricity that the experts claim that AI will need...

-Bear

There are potential battery innovations in development process right now. Some are super fast charging that, if they come to fruition, will enable one of the largest drawbacks to be overcome. That is the speed of "fueling". Batteries are said to be able to charge in as little as 10 minutes. It takes around 5 minutes at a pump now so that's probably close enough for many people to stop worrying about the cross distance travel "hassle" with current electric cars.
I imagine that semi trucks would have similar advances.
IN development
IF they come to fruition
WILL enable
Batteries are SAID TO BE able
PROBABLY close enough
I IMAGINE

Can't argue with any of that.

Tom

Back