This was my project for the weekend ( Ball Mil )l

Great white hunter

Active User
Registered
I got sick of paying $20.00 a pound for black powder for my cannons and after looking at all the crappy ball mills made on You Tube and the cheap junk on Ebay I decided to make myself a super industrial ball mill. This thing is built like a tank and will last forever. Built this on Saturday. Can be used to make 20 lbs of black powder In one shot or to tumble 50 lbs of rocks.P4130006.JPGP4130002.JPGP4130003.JPGP4130004.JPGP4130005.JPG

P4130002.JPG P4130006.JPG P4130003.JPG P4130004.JPG P4130005.JPG

I aint sure how one makes black powder but that thing looks well put together. It's a tumbler more or less yea?

I aint sure how one makes black powder but that thing looks well put together. It's a tumbler more or less yea?

A ball mill is basically a tumbler with some sort of media (usually metal balls) and the thing you want to grind. You spin it around for many hours, and the action of the balls smacking into each other (with your materiel in-between) reduces the material to a very fine powder. When doing black powder, you need to be sure to use a metal (like brass) that will not spark for obvious reasons.

Ya, I use hardened lead balls. They work very well.
A ball mill is basically a tumbler with some sort of media (usually metal balls) and the thing you want to grind. You spin it around for many hours, and the action of the balls smacking into each other (with your materiel in-between) reduces the material to a very fine powder. When doing black powder, you need to be sure to use a metal (like brass) that will not spark for obvious reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, It's a tumbler on steroids. It's a little over built for a tumbler but I have a habbit of over building everything I make.

If it aint a race car or air plane your better off over built . Would this work to clean parts like a vibrator or does it just break things down?

Charley you ever eat at Kirkenburts? Our old Buddy Tom owns that place. Got a buddy named Gary Wyatt in your town as well

Back