Thoughts on DROs

but I find a DRO extremely useful on a lathe.
I wouldn't be without one. I sold a Trav-a-dial on eBay, bought a DRO and pocketed $100. I still find it easier to track a rotating dial than flashing numbers. Even on a mill, I can get to the number I want faster with the dial than the DRO.

Just got a lathe that came with a Trav-a-Dial. I still want to add a DRO but really like the dial.

@ycroosh sounds like a wanted addition to the graphical display on the next build!

Hard to beat a Trav-A-Dial! I use a way mounted dial indicator.
Me, too. With a 2” travel indicator, I can time releasing the clutch for the power feed for turning operations to within maybe 5 thou, even in faster operations. I wonder if the software lag for a DRO display would be fast enough to be able to time it like that.

I guess I’ll find out—I just ordered a cheapie DRO for the lathe.

Rick “may be summer before I can install it” Denney

This is very like the difference between analog wristwatch or a clock with hands, and applies to anything that displays numbers zipping by. Most times, one does not need the exact time (say) in numbers. You want to see how much, proportionally, there is left up to, or after, some important point. Actually reading a set of numbers, and doing the mental addition or subtraction is a 2-stage think, whereas a single glance at a dial, (or clock face) of any kind lets you know in milliseconds the "which way", and the "how far". I don't get on well with the F1-style digital speed display option on my car either, but fortunately, the menus let me choose a dial display as well.

I don't have a Trav-a-Dial, but I am sure able to identify with why you like it. The answer is to have both features, and you are right that it is completely possible to to display a position analog value along with the digital number.

With electronic kit I use, the digital readout meters have the same issue, and my multimeter features a horizontal "bar graph" as well as the digits, to help in adjusting for maximums, or minimums. They in effect emulate the movement of a analog meter needle using a line of little lit up dots.

It happens everywhere! Look at the dancing VU-meter displays for audio consoles, specially programmed to hit a peak, delay there to aid our senses, and then fall back in a damped fashion like the pointers on old-school analog meters. I can't imagine changing audio levels displayed as changing numbers would be viable, but our brains can assess a proportional analog value in an instant.

I love (and need) having the number display and precision of a DRO, but only when it is stopped. When it's on the move, you have to pay attention to approach a position without overshoot. This is something much better done by a dial displaying travel.

I'd like to add to what you said , because with a dial you know what side of zero you are on when approaching zero. With a DRO, you are concentrating on the numbers, if you overshoot you may not realize the - or lack of it. That happens to me a lot, so much so, I write down things on my vise top more and more and make a note of which way I am going... With a dial you know instantly.

The problem with a dial is when you have gone more than one rotation.. With any drop indicator you must know what rotation you are on, same with Dial readings (counting the number of rotations)...

There's no one perfect system, but it's nice to be able to have both or a choice of , or the ability to flip easily. Configurable.

I'm not sure what a Trave-a-Dial is, but it sounds like what you are looking for may be satisfied with the way the Aikron DRO shows the approach to the selected zero on either axis.

Here's a short video I just shot to illustrate, sorry about the handheld, but I didn't want to get out a tripod just for this.

If I remember correctly, the rate/sensitivity of approach of the red indicator is adjustable as well.

I bought the Aikron after seeing Stefan Gottenswinter demonstraing his.

View attachment IMG_3447.mov

That's nice, I did see Stefan's video, but forgot about that. I don't need a new DRO right now.
I would also take a look at the Touch, I did like a lot of Yuri's features. My lathe does not have a DRO, so if I decide to that would be something to look at.

I added a dial indicator to a sliding rod that's always attached to the lathe. Normally it's retracted and not in the way, but if there is a very critical operation point I can't go beyond, I slide it out into position and zero it on the carriage, then use the DRO until I get close and switch my attention to the dial indicator. Not perfect, but a benefit is that the dial indicator is a bit closer to the eyeball action than the DRO display anyway.

Back