Thoughts on G9729?

BeefyFranks

Registered
Registered
Thoughts on this machine? Was also interested in the G0769. I am mostly interested in small parts. Maybe a form1 suppressor and finishing some 80% lowers, bushings, bearing drivers, and other small odds and ends for working on vehicles. No plans to make anything of significant size. The biggest parts I would plan to mill/turn would be probably 2.5in x 10in at the largest.

I am more interested in a capable lathe than a super precise mill. Something that can put out reasonably concentric threads if I were to go and try to do any form1 suppressor. As far as threading a barrel I have no desire to do that. But to cut concentric threads on a can would be desirable. As far as mills go anything better than a drill press would suit my needs. Budget total for both would be $3k and under. Cheaper the better but also not afraid to spend a little for something better. That said a $5k lathe is out of the question for now.

My other thought is to go with the benchtop mill from HF for $799 and have two stand alone units. I read a lot of people don't like the 2 or 3n1 machines and generally recommend against that. As far as space requirements. I have a decent sized garage but i am more interested in benchtop models or something smaller/lighter. Down the road, when i have a shop i will be much more interested in larger, more capable machines.

I really would like feedback from someone with either one of those two models (G9729 or G0769) and if they like them, hate them, or are indifferent. As well as the best lathe for the $1500-2k range if i ended up going two stand alone units. I am also not too far away from Grizzly's Missouri location so i could maybe look for a scratch and dent, or just pick up a new unit if they make quality machines.

I started out with a 3 in 1 Smithy similar to the machines your interested in. I believe it was an AT300, but it's been almost 20 years.

The lathe worked. At best. I learned alot about overcoming limitations.

The mill part was all but unuseable for anything but the lightest jobs. No matter how tight you tightened the head, it would still move while cutting. I learned to take cuts along the mills x axis (lathe z) axis, because if you tried along the y axis, the whole head would rotate as the end mill walked up the part.

If your primary interest is form 1 suppressors, spend your whole budget on a standalone lathe, and save for a mill later. Don't buy a 3 in 1.

With your budget and size limitations, one of these would be a good starter lathe.

Then later when you want a small mill, save up for something like the grizzly g0704.

Last edited:
Back