Thoughts on Koolmist "porta-mist"?

dbb-the-bruce

Dave
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've been putting off adding any sort of coolant system to my desktop CNC for a couple of reasons but it's becoming apparent that I would benefit from using one.

My biggest concerns are the potential mess and the need to now put the machine in some sort of tray to collect coolant.

The machine is a Nomad 3, if you are not familiar with it, it's about the size of a small dorm room fridge. It has a sturdy metal frame with bamboo side panels and a plexiglass door / hood. No real bottom. Any excessive amount of coolant would run out under the y axis table and on to the bench it's sitting on.

My first question is - how much coolant collects and runs off using a small unit like the porta-mist?
Do you think the humid/wet condition inside the CNC cabinet is going to affect the bamboo-ply side panels?

Finally, any other comments / experiences using this small porta-mist system would be appreciated.
I've got a reasonably sized California Air compressor that should have no trouble keeping up with it.

my problem with these is a sore throat from breathing the coolant fog.

I used to use a cool-mist system but did not like
1. Time to start the syphon each time I used it
2. Occasional fog from atomized coolant
a few years back I switched to a Fog-Buster system
1. Zero time to start syphon (because it uses a pressure delivery instead of a syphon delivery)
2. No fog ever since switching. coolant drops are bigger and do not hang in the air

To answer the original question. I never have any run-off. it take a very little amount of coolant. One way to set it is to hold a shop towel in front of the nozzle and then after a second or two you will start to see a damp spot. Some times will milling large pockets a little bit of coolant will pool in the pocket but still no more than can be cleaned up with a shop towel. as for the bamboo, no idea but If you are worried about it, apply some sealant.

It's the fog coming off these that I am most concerned about. I really don't want to be breathing that junk. But flood coolant is such a mess, so I have avoided that, too. I've heard so many good and bad things about mist coolant, I don't know which to believe. My shop is so small, and ventilation is not much of an option in the dead of winter or on really humid days. I don't have AC, but once I do, that adds to the issue of ventilation. I suppose I could wear a mask whenever using mist coolant?

It's the fog coming off these that I am most concerned about. I really don't want to be breathing that junk. But flood coolant is such a mess, so I have avoided that, too. I've heard so many good and bad things about mist coolant, I don't know which to believe. My shop is so small, and ventilation is not much of an option in the dead of winter or on really humid days. I don't have AC, but once I do, that adds to the issue of ventilation. I suppose I could wear a mask whenever using mist coolant?
I have a Fog Buster Mini on my PM932 and use Trico MD7 in it. There is zero fog/mist from this system. The main reason is it operates under very low pressure. I run 10 PSI at the nozzle. It pressurizes the lube container so it doesn't use vacuum to suck the lube out at the nozzle so the lube isn't a mist, it's bigger drops. My shop is 23x23 so I also work in a small area. Every now and then if I'm pushing it hard I may get a little smoke but that's rare. How much lube does it use? There is almost no detectable lube on the parts when done machining. I bought a gallon of it and was a little worried on cost as this stuff was about 140 bucks a gallon. But, 2 years later I have used less than a quart and this machine has made about 25K so it was well worth it.

Long story short, buy a Fog Buster and never look back.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, looks like fog-buster is the way to go. I wasn't aware of the misters creating clouds of vapor.

Question about the snout / tube on the fog buster. I saw a video where someone had bought extras and bent them to work better. My issue for my CNC is that the tube look rather long. I'm assuming that there wouldn't be any issue with a shorter tube right?

Also, looks like It's probably easiest to just order direct. I found a few places that sell the kit but didn't seem to sell the accessories.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, looks like fog-buster is the way to go. I wasn't aware of the misters creating clouds of vapor.

Question about the snout / tube on the fog buster. I saw a video where someone had bought extras and bent them to work better. My issue for my CNC is that the tube look rather long. I'm assuming that there wouldn't be any issue with a shorter tube right?

Also, looks like It's probably easiest to just order direct. I found a few places that sell the kit but didn't seem to sell the accessories.
Looking at mine I don't see any issues with shortening the tube. I ordered mine direct from Hench Mfg. They were great to deal with. One option you may consider is an electric solenoid for air control. I got a 24 volt ac one and use a switch on the mill to turn it on and off. I have 24 volt ac on the mill to run contactors so I just used that for a power source. Where I'm going with this is You could use a double throw switch with one position "on", middle "off" and one position could be run off G code and let the program turn the Fog Buster on and off.

I ordered mine direct from Fogbuster.com . Well actually , you download an order form, fill it out and email it to them. The picture below shows my setup. The mixer between air and coolant happens in the BLUE blocks. I can't think of any reason that you can't shorten the tube after the blocks. I recommend the dual head like I have, plenty of times that a pocket or feature blocks one of the heads but rarely both. Awhile back one of the check valves (you can see it in the line) broke. It was an easy replacement. I run cool-Mist 77 for my coolant. I don't get as much millage as av8ter but a little still goes a long way. It is sold in a concentrate form as in "just add water" :)

PXL_20230310_185921756.jpg

many of us have built our own. here's my entry:

Back