Thoughts on Mini-Lathes

I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I made earlier. ;)
Since this post is directed at me, I'll reply with this photo of the backside of my apron, where the half nut lever passes through. This is an undoctored photo, showing the quality of the casting on my machine. This is but one problem I had to deal with.

2024-02-22_06-49-33 by nessism, on Flickr

Since this post is directed at me, I'll reply with this photo of the backside of my apron, where the half nut lever passes through. This is an undoctored photo, showing the quality of the casting on my machine. This is but one problem I had to deal with.

no doubt there is some real junk being sold, i half expected to have to RMA my lathe after seeing a lot YT videos and posts , my plan was to keep RMAing them until i got an acceptable one. YMMV but i got a good one on the first try.

Well, since I quoted your post, of course my referring you to my post about giving advice to beginners was aimed at you!:grin:

I'm not saying there won't be issues (and in some cases, issues that require the importer to provide replacement components or even accept an RMA).

I was saying that, when providing advice to beginners, rather than using terms like "junk" or "garbage" or indeed "POS" and dismissing the mini-lathe as a whole class of lathe, it's best to provide general details about the fact that issues with fit and finish aren't uncommon and in some cases, from some importers, serious problems can pop up.

That provides the 'advisee' with useful, realistic, credible information that they can use to add to their assessment of the worth of mini-lathes generally. :)

Adding the fourth headstock bolt on my SC3 improved things a fair bit too. Not sure if it was a factory oversight or not, but it was only affixed with three bolts.
This three headstock bolt thing seems common to 7x mini-lathes. I know that extra bolt will eat into overall profits but just adding, oh say, £10, to the price would cover that and more, and would save some product reputational problems.

Interestingly, my Weiss WBL1835 came with four headstock bolts and the headstock was affixed with all four.

In the early 80z, I got a new Unimat 3 lathe/mill/drill. When you guys are saying 'mini', you dont know wut it meanz!

The entire shabang wuz about 30 poundz! I coud hold it with 1 hand at armz length! Thats bolted to a piece uv plywood with all the tooling!

The drive belt iz a 1/4" thick O-ring. (sorry, ran out uv exclamation points). Wen it snapped, I woud crazy glue it and it woud continue working for weeks.

The big project I got it for wuz an RC car motor from skrach. Pure silver magnet wire, commutator, brush holderz. Sintered silver & grafite brushez. Cobalt samerium magnets. Metglas armature. 17-7 stainless steel case. Including the Unimat, I spent over 10,000$.

It took me about 2 yirz to finish. The main reazon for such a long time span wuz mainly money. I wuz making about 5$ per owrz, so had to save up for stuff all the time. But also, the low power uv the machine made every little operation a project in itself. Boring the casing out uv bar stock took forever kuz I coud only nibble off .001 per pass.

Altho it seemed to work out in the end kuz I finished the motor, really, the Unimat 3 wuz a poor choice. I had been looking thru the Ad Paper for a few months for sumthing uzed and small. There were Atlasez going for around 1,000$, wich seemed too much, but woud hav been way better. But the big mistake wuz Mrs Jedlinski'z Hardinge. Her retired machinist huzband had passed away and she just needed to sell off hiz machine shop. If I knew wut a Hardinge wuz, I woud hav bot it immediately and then worried about how to get the 2,000 pound REAL lathe home.

On top uv that, I spent much more for the Unimat than wut she wuz asking for the Hardinge. On my list uv thingz to do wen I get a time machine iz to go back to 1982 and slap sum sens into myself before passing up that deal.

The 2 lessonz I want to pass on here are:

1. You can do pretty much anything with a small hobby lathe, but it will take more time and effort. And you may not save any $.

2. Don't bite off more than you can chew. If you uze up the crucial element needed in all projects, you may never finish. That element iz enthuziazm. Wen you hav it, you will find the time, money and material you need. If you run out, it duznt matter how much you hav uv everything else, the project iz ded.

I finished the motor. But I never made the 1/12 scale RC car it wuz supposed to power. Lost interest. Had no enthuziazm. Moved on to other projects.

There were a couple of other things I wanted to say in my previous (far too long:oops::grin:) post about how to give good advice to potential purchasers of mini-lathes, but I clean forgot.

Firstly, even Quinn of Blondihacks fame (who I respect and admire greatly and is easily one of the best educators for beginner/early-intermediate hobbyists on YouTube and generally doesn't suffer from a 'You don't have a Monarch 10? Pfft!" attitude), is guilty of dismissing the potential usefulness of 7x Chinese mini-lathe as a class of lathes in her "How to buy an import lathe" video.

In fact, most YouTubers using Chinese benchtop lathes, whatever their size, seem to take a slightly rueful, apologetic tone about their machines' capabilities. It's almost like they're ashamed of not having US/UK/European old iron that can hog out tool steel at deep DOCs in a single pass.

That's silly of course. If you can do useful work on a tool and teach others useful skills via that useful work, then that tool doesn't need to be apologised for, and shouldn't be apologised for, as 'apologising' perpetuates that ambient culture of 'macho' machinist gatekeeping we've seen for years (and one that this place is thankfully, largely free of :)).

The other thing I wanted to do, is explain why I feel giving sensible, temperate, informed advice (and where there are gaps in our knowledge, making those gaps very visible to any potential audience), is not just an optimal thing to do but (and I'm kinda getting into dangerous territory here but eh...this is my opinion only, I'm not the boss of anybody else and barely even of myself :grin:) actually an ethical imperative.

Wait...wait...hear me out.:oops::big grin:

When we give purchasing advice (whether proscriptive or prescriptive) to someone who is likely to lack the knowledge and experience to be able to validate our advice, we are potentially 'spending their money'. Unless we're talking to a millionaire, that's quite the responsibility, and so, the onus really should be on us to take that responsibility seriously, and make sure we are providing the absolute best advice possible.

That doesn't mean we should be fearful of giving advice, but just that we should be fearful of giving advice that makes hard assertions ("you should definitely not buy this" or "this is janky, useless, garbage that has no virtue and is an utter waste of your money" or even "this is the best thing ever in the history of humanity" type of assertions) that we've not put enough effort into validating.

I do see, very occasionally, blanket "dont buy anything from China, it's all rubbish" silliness from a very small number of certain members on here, and that's bad, lazy, and by my standards (again, just to reiterate, I'm so obviously not the boss of anyone, you can see that fact from space!:grin:;)) unethical advice.

So, if it feels like I've finger wagged, it's not just for the sake of arguing on the internet (got bored with that a few years ago, although too recently to claim any virtue for it! :oops::grin:), but because I'm morally judging yo...feeling empathy for the poor rudderless, confused beginner (still definitely having a foot in that space myself ;)).

Oh and apologies for another over long post. I'm afraid I suffer from a programmer's fear of being ambiguous and imprecise, combined with a love of words:oops: (particularly my own! :grin:).

Last edited:
I hav that attitude about band sawz. I actually turned down several band sawz for free bekuz I wont hav anything but a Marvel.

I got spoilt wen I got a job az the saw guy at an automation system manufacturer in 1986. The Marvel 8 they had me running wuz so just much better than everything else I'd uzed befor that I woud rather uze a hacksaw than any uv the common machinez.

The problem with that iz they hav alwayz been expensiv, even uzed. An ancient Marvel 8, missing the motor and lots uv other parts sold for 5,000$ at an auction I attended!

Plus, I never had the floor spase.

This is particularly terrible example of mini-lathe problems. And it should have never been put into assembly. It would truly give the purchaser a very bad feeling from his purchase. Most are not like this. Can you say if this was a SIEG or RB?

I hav that attitude about band sawz. I actually turned down several band sawz for free bekuz I wont hav anything but a Marvel.

I got spoilt wen I got a job az the saw guy at an automation system manufacturer in 1986. The Marvel 8 they had me running wuz so just much better than everything else I'd uzed befor that I woud rather uze a hacksaw than any uv the common machinez.

The problem with that iz they hav alwayz been expensiv, even uzed. An ancient Marvel 8, missing the motor and lots uv other parts sold for 5,000$ at an auction I attended!

Plus, I never had the floor spase.
Spell check broken?

This topic has been well received with excellent post.

It has been mentioned that expectation of the 7x Chinese lathe (and not just the 7x) has to be tempered with a good deal of current realities. The lathes will generally work within their limitations with a number of accuracy limiting faults. Some are tuning correctable and some are limitations of the design. Enter into the mini-lathe with eyes wide open and proceed with the lathe with adjustment/tuning/modding when needed or desired. And if a really terribly functioning example is received, hope you have return possibilities.

But very good work can be done by the mini-lathe hobbyist. (And if with my limitations if I can, anyone can)

Attachments

• Sparey5cc.jpg
    Sparey5cc.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 30
Back