Thoughts on the 2"x72" Belt Grinder

Dabbler:

As you have stated, a grinder's h.p. requirements depend on what you are going to use it for. Evidently a lot of people think they need 1 h.p. per inch of belt, hence the "rule of thumb" we have all heard over the years.

I had a complete brain fart! all my sanders are 6X48. sheesh I'm not firing on all cylinders!!!! I couldn't imagine a 6HP sander for them!

My 2x72 is 1hp. probably cant hog like the big boys but it is absolutely adequate.

“Local outlet”? I buy my 2x72 belts in bulk on line. The choices are amazing. I’m all for supporting local business, but small USA vendors like Pop’s knife supply are awesome too :)
The locals still don't carry 72". I got mine on-line too.

Local stores carry less and less stuff all the time. People buy on-line, so the stores stock less. The stores stock less, so people have to buy on-line. Vicious circle.

Local stores are booming like seven-elevens - slim inventory, more convenience.

Last night I learned something about the disadvantage of a 2x36" belt sander. I was rounding over the corners of a piece of UHMW (or some kind of similar plastic) that I'd milled and bandsawed to rough shape. The belt on my machine is vertical, with a ~5" drive wheel at the bottom and a ~3" return wheel at the top. Being as short as it is, the belt was holding on to the staticky swarf long enough for it to fly off the upper wheel and right into my hair, face, shirt, etc.

I'd be willing to bet that a 2x72" belt would do a better job of letting go of the swarf/dust/debris.

Back