Thoughts on this ad for a Tree milling machine?

aluminum

Registered
Registered
I have made an inquiry and want to be ready to pull the trigger if it is a good machine and has a shallower depth than 7-8ft. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240214-170110.png
    Screenshot_20240214-170110.png
    940.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot_20240214-170122.png
    Screenshot_20240214-170122.png
    605.7 KB · Views: 116
Swing the head and you'll be good to go .

I just helped a buddy buy a Tree. He got the heavy duty UVR or UVRC. That one looks slightly different, so it may not be as heavy.

Pros and cons, in my opinion:

• Pros
    • It's not a BPort, so you'll be in the cool kids club
    • The controls are similar enough that if you can run a knee mill, you can figure this one out
    • Boxed ways make it far more rigid than a BPort of similar size
    • It's short
    • It has a quick change collet system, which is awesome if you aren't tall
      • There's no drawbar, the collet/bit change is fast, and it happens at the spindle
    • Integrated power feed on X, Y and/or Z as well as the quill (not an add on box like a BPort
    • There's a guy on YouTube with several very in depth videos
  • Cons
    • It's not a BPort, so they are hard to find parts for, or instructions for rebuilding
    • So freaking heavy you won't believe it - 3500# according to the manual
      • It was hard for one person to push it on flat concrete on a pallet jack
      • Transporting it, rigging it, and making sure it stays on the trailer is not trivial
    • It has 2 separate 3 phase motors, which makes VFD use difficult. Ypu'll want a RPC
    • I think the collets max out at 3/4"
      • Your boring bar, drill chuck, etc will need 3/4" straight shanks
  • Either, depending on how you look at it
    • table is lower than I prefer, but I'm tall. My buddy is 5' 2"(?) and loves the height.

See if it has an R8 spindle - if it doesn't the collets are hard to find and expensive. You're not going to find them at MSC or any of those places. IRRC they are Z or ZZ collets.

If it's making bad noises or has a mechanical failure, it could be a difficult situation.

On one hand, I'd rather have a Tree than a BPort because they are oddball and cool. On the other hand, everything about them is unique and more expensive to find.

I have had a Tree UVR in my home shop for 30 years. It has served me well. As stated above on the pro’s and con’s. Yours looks to be a UVR. That is the lighter model. Non boxed ways. Still comes in at around 2600 lbs.

I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I used Tree 2UVR and 2UVRC milling machines in a prototype shop for close to 20 years. They're great machines, and in my mind far superior to the Bridgeport's. I'm only 5'8" so it was a real treat not to have to stand on my tip toes to change tooling. I looked for a 2UVRC for almost 2 years before I finally gave up and purchased a Bridgeport. There were a few on the market, but they were either worn beyond resurrecting, or way out of my price range.

The strong and weak points have already been pointed out. Availability and price of tooling is the biggest negative. They were built about 80 miles down the road in Racine WI. I know several local shops that have them, but parts are hard to find even in this area.

I just helped a buddy buy a Tree. He got the heavy duty UVR or UVRC. That one looks slightly different, so it may not be as heavy.

Pros and cons, in my opinion:

• Pros
    • It's not a BPort, so you'll be in the cool kids club
    • The controls are similar enough that if you can run a knee mill, you can figure this one out
    • Boxed ways make it far more rigid than a BPort of similar size
    • It's short
    • It has a quick change collet system, which is awesomeif you aren't tall
      • There's no drawbar, the collet/bit change is fast, and it happens at the spindle
    • Integrated power feed on X, Y and/or Z as well as the quill (not an add on box like a BPort
    • There's a guy on YouTube with several very in depth videos
  • Cons
    • It's not a BPort, so they are hard to find parts for, or instructions for rebuilding
    • So freaking heavy you won't believe it - 3500# according to the manual
      • It was hard for one person to push it on flat concrete on a pallet jack
      • Transporting it, rigging it, and making sure it stays on the trailer is not trivial
    • It has 2 separate 3 phase motors, which makes VFD use difficult. Ypu'll want a RPC
    • I think the collets max out at 3/4"
      • Your boring bar, drill chuck, etc will need 3/4" straight shanks
  • Either, depending on how you look at it
    • table is lower than I prefer, but I'm tall. My buddy is 5' 2"(?) and loves the height.

See if it has an R8 spindle - if it doesn't the collets are hard to find and expensive. You're not going to find them at MSC or any of those places. IRRC they are Z or ZZ collets.

If it's making bad noises or has a mechanical failure, it could be a difficult situation.

On one hand, I'd rather have a Tree than a BPort because they are oddball and cool. On the other hand, everything about them is unique and more expensive to find.
This is super helpful. Thank you so much!

I'm thinking about driving to Colorado and buying it. LOL.
Hurry up, I have a three-day weekend...

I used Tree 2UVR and 2UVRC milling machines in a prototype shop for close to 20 years. They're great machines, and in my mind far superior to the Bridgeport's. I'm only 5'8" so it was a real treat not to have to stand on my tip toes to change tooling. I looked for a 2UVRC for almost 2 years before I finally gave up and purchased a Bridgeport. There were a few on the market, but they were either worn beyond resurrecting, or way out of my price range.

The strong and weak points have already been pointed out. Availability and price of tooling is the biggest negative. They were built about 80 miles down the road in Racine WI. I know several local shops that have them, but parts are hard to find even in this area.
T

BOUGHT!!!!!!! TRANSPORT HAPPENING TOMORROW! THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFO AND ASSISTANCE!

Attachments

• PXL_20240215_164501746.jpg
    PXL_20240215_164501746.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20240215_164452319.jpg
    PXL_20240215_164452319.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20240215_164901364.jpg
    PXL_20240215_164901364.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20240215_164859183.jpg
    PXL_20240215_164859183.jpg