Thread Bar Project, nothing is going right and I need help

Yes, that's what I meant. The included angle at the tool's tip must still be 60 degrees but if you shift that point to the left side of the tool you will have more clearance when cutting your threads. I mentioned it because your project has shoulders on it and you may hit them as you approach the end of the cut.

Its really nice to see so many people helping out a member of the group having some difficulties with some aspects of this great hobby. There has been no name calling, big noting or other objectionable behaviour from anyone, just friendly and helpful advice. I can think of a few politicians who could usefully take a leaf from your book, so well done you blokes, and best wishes to you all and good luck to JL in coming to grips with machining. I agree with those who think that your instructor should have come over to see what your problems were and he would have been well placed to point you in the right direction having seen where you were going wrong, but this is a great place for assistance, except for the fact we are not with you to see what your problems are.
Rob in sunny Australia

Mikey - "because your project has shoulders on it and you may hit them as you approach the end of the cut."

I've never hit them yet, but I still want to make this kind of tool because it does look better and I see a lot like this. There must be a reason. Thank you for the suggestions!!

Should work fine but you can really shift the point over to the left a bit more. If it works without contacting anything then great. The important thing is that you are able to get the job done.

You may or may not remember everything your instructor tells you in class but I can almost guarantee you'll remember things you learned after correcting a mistake. Well, maybe I should say that it applies to me at the very least - much of what I learned came from trying to fix something I screwed up. Now I know how not to screw stuff up so much!

I jammed the tool bit into my piece because I didnt know you had to go slow into it. well, I've definitely learned not to do that.

Last edited:
So I have until Friday to complete this thread bar. I definitely got an A in the effort department, but I'm hoping I can get an A on the project as well. I'm taking every step necessary to make sure the part is right. To other beginner's out there, once you learn how to do something, make a checklist like I did here. I have one for threading too and I think it's a big help.

View media item 95751

Hi Justin,

I feel a little late to the thread, but it sounds like you have a pile of great advice above.

I just read the entire thread, and the one piece of advice I have to offer is to be very careful when moving to a new machine. Never trust that the tailstock is centred with the headstock. I was surprised that no one seemed to mention tailstock alignment until YOU did in post #25. As you said, if your last operation on the other lathe was turning the outside then use that surface and an indicator to adjust the tailstock set-over before you start trying to turn threads. I bet this was your initial problem.

I applied to school when I was 30, and had to wait on the waiting list. Now I'm 32 and in my 2nd semester. When I graduate, I will be 33. I think I'm still young enough to succeed in the field. I definitely wouldn't have taken it as serious as I am if I was any younger than 25. I think I'm at the right age for someone wanting to learn the trade.

I sometimes wish I could go back to school with a more mature attitude. I am sure I'd do better now.

I believe that you will do great! You have a good attitude of wanting to learn, you know what you don't know and when to ask for help. That will set you up well to learn from the old timers before they retire, then you'll have collected some extremely valuable wisdom.

I don't fault your instructor at all. I know I could NOT do that job. (S)he is likely so busy trying to make sure they are not liable for injury that it's hard to give everyone the individual attention they sometimes need. Tough gig.

Please post back with your progress.
We're all pulling for you!

-brino

Last edited:
I don't fault your instructor at all. I know I could NOT do that job. (S)he is likely so busy trying to make sure they are not liable for injury that it's hard to give everyone the individual attention they sometimes need. Tough gig.

Please post back with your progress.
We're all pulling for you!

Well, I'm putting about 90% of the problems with the instructor... especially with this young man, who seems to be trying very hard. No student should have struggled this long with the rudiments of a task without the instructor becoming proactively involved. I picked up my first class of shop students in 1973 and in the ensuing 44 years, this would simply not have been acceptable.

I also wonder: (1) where is the syllabus? (2) where are the project sheets? (3) etc.?

I'm ready to start threads on my bar and I wanted to see if Mikey thought this 60 degree angle looks right. I made it to the left, would this be good enough as long as the very tip of the tool fits into that fish tail angle? Thanks guys.
View media item 95755

Last edited:
Back