Thread chart South Bend 10 K

macrnr

Active User
Registered
While cleaning the grease off of my newly acquired South Bend 10 K lathe sometime ago, the ink on the threading chart attached to the quick change gearbox came completely off. This caught me completely off guard as I was only using "Simple Green" to clean with and I wasn't bearing down. One swipe and the letters where gone AAAARGH! This is one of the last machines built, 1990 and the letters weren't stamped only printed. The machine is Model # CL670RA, Serial # 41990K. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have included a picture before the damage was done. I am ready to do some threading, and I am literally in the dark.
Thanks, Mark

thread chart.jpg

Likely that was originally silkscreened on there. If you have reproducible artwork, it might be done at a local shop that does tee shirts and hats, etc.

Many people underestimate Simple Green. It can be pretty powerful stuff.

Grizzly sells South Bend parts. If you can't get it there, here's a guy who makes them.

Tom

Thank You for all the information. I have found a replacement. These forums are wonderful, you can speak to the whole world with your problems & issues.
AWESOME

Mark,

Where did you end up finding it? That might be useful information for others.

Tom

Just received the new thread plate from latheman2@aol.com. It fits perfectly and the letters are etched, so it should hold up longer than I will. Better than the original. Maybe that is a little insight into the problems South Bend was having before they closed the doors? My lathe was one of the last ones made in Indiana,1990. No more excuses time to get to threading!:)

Back