Thread ID help needed

Metric 40mm x 4mm?

I don't know. I'll have to figure out soon as I'm getting closer to cutting threads. About .200 to go for the minor dia. Next will be to check my lathe to see if it can cut the pitch I need and to grind a cutter bit. Inch by inch.

I don't have a 4 jaw chuck that fits, so I have to make due.

IMG_20130907_193004.jpgIMG_20130907_192946.jpg

IMG_20130907_193004.jpg IMG_20130907_192946.jpg

The dimensions are.

MM
Major 39.8272
Minor 34.798
Thread to thread 3.7084
7 tpi (How would I state this in metric?)

Width of top of thread 1.2192
Width of bottom of thread 1.4334

I'm having trouble finding specs for this thread. I haven't checked my MHB yet which I probably should. However, what fun would that be for you guys?
:jester:

Thank you for posting a source to buy a nut. However, at this point, there isn't any extra money to buy anything. So, making it is the answer.

Okay, what are the chances of my lathe being able to cut this thread?

4mm is equal to 6.350 threads per inch. Going to be a little hard to cut that one unless you metric transponding gearing or a metric lead screw.

4mm is equal to 6.350 threads per inch. Going to be a little hard to cut that one unless you metric transponding gearing or a metric lead screw.

Anyone near me have a lathe that will cut this thread and is willing to share?

The dimensions are.

MM
Major 39.8272
Minor 34.798
Thread to thread 3.7084
7 tpi (How would I state this in metric?)

Width of top of thread 1.2192
Width of bottom of thread 1.4334

I'm having trouble finding specs for this thread. I haven't checked my MHB yet which I probably should. However, what fun would that be for you guys?
:jester:

Thank you for posting a source to buy a nut. However, at this point, there isn't any extra money to buy anything. So, making it is the answer.

Okay, what are the chances of my lathe being able to cut this thread?

for the 99 bucks id just buy one..

Great advice if there was ~$120.00 available. At one time, that was just about pocket change which is not the situation today. Besides, isn't this forum all about making something 3X the price you can buy it for?

If you haven't got a 127 tooth gear for your inch leadscrew to enable you to cut a true metric thread, can you make 6.5 TPI with the changewheels you have for your machine? being as there isn't going to be much length of thread inside the nut, it should screw on without binding even though the thread pitch won't be exactly correct.

Back