Threading/cutting Fluid

iosens

Registered
Registered
Hi

I know that there are a lot of posts about cutting fluids in this forum, but unfortunately the search engine does not let me search for RE-LI-ON, the cutting fluid I got with my Grizzly lathe.

I am generally happy with this stuff, it smells ok and is supposedly environmentally friendly.
Now that I wanted to order a new container, I was surprised that this seems to be an exclusively by GRIZZLY
product and I can't find anything about it on the internet - possibly due to the goofy name.

Any thoughts ? - I have not used any other fluids yet - which are mostly more expensive and often stinkier as it seems.

Thanks

If you like it and the price is reasonable, then get more from Grizzly. I mostly use Mobil Mobilmet 766, which works good, does not stink, and it a pretty good deal by the gallon from ENCO when they have 20-25% off and free shipping. You can get the dark sulfur containing oil from Home Depot and I think at Tractor Supply, it smells bad but works well. I also use Anchor Lube, a water based cutting paste. It works really well on stainless steel, and does well on other metals as well. It is a really thick paste that will cling to the work and cutting tools. It can be thinned to any viscosity that you wish with water. If you want a free sample of Anchor Lube, call them and mention Bar Z Industrial, and they will send it to you. There are tons of other proprietary cutting fluids, all advertised as the best thing since sliced bread. Caveat Emptor. There are some reviews out there on YouTube and the web you can look at if you are interested and are willing to accept the results. You can even use stuff like vegetable shortening if you wish, it works fine and lots of old timers used it. Your shop will smell like a french fryer! Then there are flood coolants, misters, and more than enough products out there to keep you plenty confused. Some stuff, like some cast irons and brass, cuts best dry.

A Big 10+ on Mobilmet 766. Dab it on with a Spill Mate from Little Machine Shop, I am in heaven!!!

I've done a lot of small tapping in 17-4 and 15-5 amongst other stainlesses with Anchor Lube over the years . It's a paste that seems to break down the surface tension of the material . I will recommend it along with Bob . Clean and easy to use .

Lately down at work I've been using hydraulic oil mixed with STP oil treatment . It works , it's not what I prefer , but it's all we have being a maintenance shop . :guilty:

Last edited:
Mike-O-Cut No.87, thick like honey, pleasant wintergreen sent. Good for SS, Exotic metals etc.. Nice effective stuff.

LPS makes a couple of good tapping and cutting fluids, dark and light

My old stash of the real Tap Magic. Now, where did I hide that stuff.... Have four pint cans of it somewhere.

Back