Threading Help

Yeah I just got it all back together before you guys posted. I admit, this was a stupid, brain dead error. I totally forgot about the fact that metric threads ride on the 127 and 120 gear combo. I was even studying the manual and the diagram on the lathe and over looked that. Thank you guys!

Edit: This is why I love this group! I would of been called an idiot and been told to sell my machine on another forum that shall not be named. This is a friendly, helping group!

Last edited:
Put a dial indicator on the carriage, engage half nuts then rotate the spindle one revolution this will tell you what the lead is for that gear set, in this case 1/24 is .041".

Do this before you start threading.

Good tip Wreck
You are welcome.
In 30 years in the business I have never used a lathe with change gears only gear boxes, yet I still use an indicator before threading just to be sure. On a small machine where one may rotate the spindle by hand this takes no time at all, on a large lathe where this can't be done I put a mark on the part at an indicator point and power jog the spindle around. Have never done this on CNC lathes but may try it next week just to see how accurate the machines that I use are . I am not sure where the tool will stop at the end of a line of code in block mode so it may not work at all, next week there are 32 parts that I have to put an internal 2"-4 TPI Left Hand Acme thread into, this should give me ample time to try. Did the 32 Right Hand threaded parts last week, over 120 passes per part.

If it will make you feel better, we can send someone around that is in need to confiscate you lathe (for the good of the group of course)

It would make me feel better to get more practice on it. Sure would be nice to have a mentor/teacher to help me in person. But the only person I know around me that does anything with machining is my neighbor, who owns a machine shop. But he's always busy with either work or out at his cabin.

Back